More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Counsellor, Patient and Family Counselling Cancer Care - BC Cancer - Vancouver,
Counsellor, Patient and Family Counselling Cancer Care
Reporting to the Clinical Coordinator, Patient and Family Counselling, the Counsellor provides psychosocial support to cancer patients and their families. Receives day-to-day consultation and clinical case work supervision regarding psychosocial aspects of cancer management.
What you do
- Screen, assess and counsel patients and families concerning emotional and practical needs associated with their diagnosis; help with problems of advanced complexity; facilitate and develop group programs to meet needs of patients and families.
- Provide consultation to other disciplines, and works as a member of interdisciplinary team.
- Provide liaison with community agencies. Identify patients' needs for services and makes appropriate referrals, or develop alternate strategies for patient support, education and follow-up care.
- Participate in planning and development of educational activities in the Centre/Provincially, designated Community Oncology Network and/or outreach programs such as in-service programs and clinical network meetings.
- Participate in the planning and development of department’s quality improvement program (e.g. through input to the planning process).
- Provides clinical guidance to students and volunteers as required.
- Participate in and promote research projects as directed.
What you bring
- Master’s degree in a social sciences discipline relevant to the job from a recognized program, such as Social Work, Counselling Psychology, or Clinical Psychology.
- Minimum of two (2) years of recent experience working in an interdisciplinary setting that includes experience with individuals, couples, families and group work; program and community development;, adjustment and grief counselling in a health care or oncology setting.
- As per our Standards of Practice, demonstrated aptitude and experience in brief evidence-based therapy models such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Systems Theory, Solution-Focused Therapy, Supportive Therapy, Crisis Counselling, Group Therapy and Resource Counselling.
- Eligible for registration with designated professional regulatory body.
What you have
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively with patient, families, staff and the public in a professional and compassionate manner.
- Work independently and co-operatively as part of the Patient & Family Counselling team and the interdisciplinary cancer care team making positive contributions to the team process and patient care goals.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others tactfully and with sensitivity.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Skills & Knowledge
- Awareness of and commitment to learning and understanding the Truth & Reconciliation Commission’s 94 Calls to Action (2015), In Plain Site Report (2020), BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019), and other related reports.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- As a strong asset for consideration, we are looking for our successful candidate to have: Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Job Type: Two (2) Regular, Part-Time Opportunities (0.80 FTE)
Wage: $35.65 to $44.56 per hour
Location: 600 W 10th Ave, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4E6
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of work: Tuesday to Friday; 0830-1630
Requisition #: 135772E and 135789E
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
(PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey—one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of November 27, 2022. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.