Data Visualization Specialist & Tableau AdministratorApply Now Apply Later
The BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) provides provincial and national leadership in public health through surveillance, detection, prevention and consultation and provides both direct diagnostic and treatment services to people with disease of public health importance.
The BCCDC is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), which plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: • Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
Data Visualization Specialist & Tableau Administrator
Reference # 68387
Temporary Full Time (Until March 2020)
The Data Visualization Specialist/Tableau Administrator designs and develops interactive visualizations, dashboards, infographics and other data products to facilitate data exploration and highlight patterns in public health data. This Specialist is responsible for tool integration, technical support, server administration and instruction of data visualization and Tableau. Through instruction, standards development and continual evaluation the Specialist works to optimize data analysis and interpretation.
- Designs interactive visualizations, dashboards, infographics and other data visualization products.
- Consults with users to identify design requirements and determines the most appropriate design visualization based on an understanding of technical considerations, privacy requirements, and visual design best practices.
- Integrates Tableau with other reporting and analysis tools such as ArcGIS and R to create real-time exploration of data and a seamless user experiences between reporting modalities.
- Ensures standards and best practices are established and met for consistent and accurate use of visualization tools across BCCDC and partner health organizations, including Regional Health Authorities.
- Reviews, approves and publishes dashboards and data sources to servers taking into account data privacy policies and agreements.
- Designs and develops data cleansing routines utilizing typical data quality functions involving standardization, transformation, rationalization, linking and matching.
- Builds cross-functional relationships with other teams, including the data warehousing team responsible for data mart development.
- Provides advanced analytical capabilities within the visualization tools to improve user ability and efficiency through integration with statistical applications.
- Independently performs Tableau server administration, including user provisioning, server management, license administration, and version upgrades.
- Develops standards and best practices for data visualization and provides instruction and technical support to BCCDC and regional Health Authority staff on how to develop required visuals in Tableau.
- Assesses data visualization training needs of users internal and external to BCCDC and prepares in-person, remote or self-learning training modules and programs, as appropriate.
- Evaluates user satisfaction with data visualization products and determines the best approaches to improvement. Periodically evaluates user satisfaction with visualization tools and products, including implementing user surveys, focus groups, and monitoring usage statistics.
- A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, statistics or related discipline
- Five (5) years’ experience building interactive data visualizations
- Experience in server administration in an enterprise environment is required, as are advance SQL coding skills and experience with ETL tools and technologies, especially SSIS.
- Experience in healthcare and tableau certifications as well as statistical tools such as SAS and R considered to be an asset.
Highly organized, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to influence. Thorough knowledge of space management and utilization principles. Effective organizational, research, analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to prioritize, plan, organize and carry out activities within tight timelines. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
We invite you to apply by clicking on the "Apply Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
Applications will be accepted until this position is filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit our website http://jobs.phsa.ca
For more information about the BC Centre for Disease Control please visit the website at: www.bccdc.ca
The PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities