More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
General Ledger Clerk
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The General Ledger Clerk performs accounting duties such as financial statement preparation and complex reconciliations for approval. Performs bank reconciliations and follow up, prepares journal entries to record transactions, up-dates recurring journal entries and processes the posting of journal entries to the general ledger. Prepares Health Authority Management Information System (HAMIS), a periodic report for the Ministry of Health.
What you'll do
- Reconciles accounts such as prepaids, miscellaneous receivables, and corporate accrual by performing tasks such as identifying account discrepancies including missing accruals, incorrect amounts and incorrect items, preparing journal entries to correct identified discrepancies and referring unresolved discrepancies to the supervisor.
- Prepares and/or ensures preparation of documentation such as year-end working papers, supporting schedules for inclusion in the Audit Binders ensuring that all supporting documentation is supplied and lead sheets balance with the general ledger as well as preparation of financial statements including income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statement.
- Maintains recurring journal entries by performing duties such as adding, deleting, and changing standard journal entry set-ups.
- Processes general ledger journal entries by performing tasks such as reviewing all entries for accuracy, referring incorrect entries to appropriate staff for correction, and marking entries that are ready to post to the computerized system.
- Monitors on-line daily bank balance to reconcile cheques cleared and runs the daily cash report using the on-line electronic banking system.
- Monitors interunit/interfund accounts to ensure correct reporting of inter entity transactions.
- Drafts standard bank correspondence for signature such as correspondence requesting fund transfers.
- Prepares and issues annual confirmation letters to all petty cash custodians to verify information such as current petty cash accounts, custodian names and departments, and petty cash totals. Maintains and updates custodian information.
- Prepares the periodic HAMIS report for the Ministry of Health by performing tasks such as extracting and compiling information from a variety of computer generated reports and using spreadsheet and other reporting tools to prepare the report in prescribed government format.
What you bring
- Grade 12, completion of two years of the CMA or CGA program
- Four years’ recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job type Temporary Full Time until October 2022
Hours and Days 0830-1630, Monday through Friday
Location 1770 W 7th Ave Vancouver, BC V6J 4Z9
Wage $26.65/ per hour + benefits if over 6 months
Reference number 116191E
What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.