More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Genetic Counsellor, Medical Genetics - BC Women's Hospital + Health Centre
Genetic Counsellor, Medical Genetics
BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre
Full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA effective October 26, 2021.
What you’ll do
- Participate on the clinical team by developing, preparing and completing patient care history files (medical, pregnancy and family history) through interviews with patients and family members. Elicit patient concerns, analyze inheritance patterns, summarize data, and discuss concerns with the Medical Geneticist.
- Provide genetic counseling and support to patients and family members, both independently (under the direction of a Medical Geneticist) and within the Counsellor/Medical Geneticist team, by providing families with information about particular genetic disorders, inheritance patterns, genetic risk, genetic testing options, available support groups, in addition to assisting the patient/family in coping with the emotional stress associated with a genetic diagnosis.
- Dictate letters to communicate to the referring and family physician the details and recommendations of a genetic session which are cosigned by the Medical Geneticist.
- Serve as the liaison person between the referring physician, the patient and the medical genetic physician to assure an understanding of the counseling issues and follow-up recommendations. Contact patient/referring physician with results as needed.
- Involved as members of multidisciplinary clinics (eg Fetal Diagnostic Service) representing the medical genetics clinic by providing counseling, expertise and recommendations based on medical genetics standards of care.
- Involved in the academic training of medical students as well as clinical training of residents, fellow and students on rotation in the clinical unit. This includes giving lectures, leading small group sessions, teaching counseling skills and supervising patient counselling sessions.
What you bring
- Masters degree in Medical Genetics or Genetic Counselling OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Two (2) years recent related genetic experience.
- Board certified for certification with the Canadian Association of Genetic Counsellors and/or American Board of Genetic Counselling.
You also have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Deal effectively with patient/families in crisis.
- Operate related equipment such as computerized genetic databases/information systems.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Temporary Full-Time
Wage: $30.90 to $38.63 per hour
Location: 4500 Oak Street, Vancouver BC, V6H 2N9
Hours of Work: Monday-Friday; 0800-1600
Requisition # 114213
What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and LM Labs are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.