More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Genome Sciences Technologist - BC Cancer - Vancouver
Genome Sciences Technologist
The Genome Sciences Technologist performs various molecular biology techniques and procedures including library construction which are involved in the operation of a large scale, high throughput DNA mapping and DNA sequencing production facility.
What you’ll do
- Follow established laboratory procedures, perform tasks such as colony purification of plasmid/BAC clones, RNA and DNA purification, DNA sequencing, analysis of DNA fingerprints for physical map construction, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) experiments, DNA restriction analysis, agarose gel electrophoresis, southern blot analysis and library construction.
- Prepare solutions following standard operating procedures.
- Maintain general lab and equipment cleanliness. Recognize and report malfunctions in equipment.
- Process patient samples according to established procedures for clinical sequencing diagnostic tests.
- Perform other related duties as required.
What you bring
- Graduation from a recognized diploma program in Biotechnology, Microbiology or Biochemistry
- Two (2) years’ of recent related experience in a research laboratory or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the Genome Sciences Centre Group Leaders and Production Coordinators.
You will also have:
- Knowledge of molecular biology techniques particularly DNA and RNA preparation and manipulation.
- Demonstrated ability to perform detailed procedures reproducibly and accurately.
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively with others in a team environment.
- Ability to efficiently organize work assignments and establish priorities.
- Basic knowledge of and ability to operate personal computers.
As a strong asset for consideration, we are looking for our successful candidate to have:
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Job Type: Three (3) Temporary, Full-Time Opportunities (Until January 02, 2024)
Wage: $29.70 to $37.11 per hour
Location: 600 W 10th Ave, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4E6
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Working hours: Monday to Friday; 0830-1630.
Requisition Number: 136835E, 136838E, and 136839E
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
(PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey—one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of December 04, 2022. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.