More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Genomics Specialist, COVID-19 Response, BCCDC - LM Labs
Genomics Specialist, COVID-19 Reponse
BC Centre for Disease Control Labs
The Genomics Specialist, British Columbia Centre for Disease Control Public Health Laboratory (BCCDC PHL) is responsible for providing genomics support for clinical and public health microbiology needs.
What you’ll do
- Support the BCCDC PHL in genomics data generation both operationally and through research and development
- Acquire and analyze genomic data related to emerging issues in laboratories and in public health to provide accurate and timely information to guide diagnostics, interventions and policy.
- Understand the scientific computing infrastructure needed for molecular and genomics data management and analysis and support computational troubleshooting.
- Help design diagnostic assays using genomics data
- Integrate and develop useful bioinformatics tools and pipelines to support the Lab’s core molecular and genomic data management and analysis activities.
- Conduct genomics and bioinformatics user training.
- Facilitate sequences and genomics analysis in the lab under the guidance of Senior Scientists.
What you bring
- A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Master’s program in related discipline such as Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or Genetics including a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Technology
- A minimum of three (3) years of recent related experience or an equivalent combination of graduate education, training and experience.
You also have:
- Documented proficiency in sequence data analysis and experience in building biological databases based on SQL.
- Documented proficiency in at least one of: Python (preferred), Java, Perl, Shell, R and other modern computer languages.
- Ability to design and build robust computational pipelines in Unix-like environment using Galaxy or other workflow engines, and develop web applications in the Linux environment using Apache Tomcat and at least one web front-end development language.
- Excellent time management, organizational, leadership and interpersonal skills.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Location: 655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver BC, V5Z 4R4
Hours of Work: Monday-Friday; 0830-1630
Requisition # 114297
What we do
Lower Mainland Laboratories (LM Labs) provides laboratory testing at 31 sites across the lower mainland and central coast of BC, including acute care hospital laboratories and specialty laboratories.
Lower Mainland Laboratories is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and LML are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of September 20, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.