More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Housekeeping Aide/Cleaner performs a variety of light and heavy cleaning duties, including sweeping; damp and wet mopping, scrubbing, waxing and polishing floors; vacuuming carpets; washing walls, windows and ceilings; and dusting and polishing furniture, in adherence to departmental policies and standards and safe practices and procedures, such as compliance with Workers’ Compensation Board regulations and standards.
What you’ll do
- Cleans and maintains areas such as floors, entrances, lobbies, elevators, escalators, stairways, walls, windows and walkways by methods such as dusting, sweeping, spot washing, dry/wet mopping, scrubbing, stripping, sealing, waxing, buffing, polishing and removing waste.
- Cleans and disinfects areas such as walls, windows, doors, mirrors, light fixtures, ceilings, air vents and ducts; washes and disinfects items such as waste receptacles and dietary carts.
- Transports furniture and/or equipment manually and/or using aides such as dollies and carts to a designated area.
- Cleans carpets and rugs by methods such as vacuuming, shampooing, brushing and shaking.
- Cleans and disinfects items such as furniture, woodwork, ledges, fixtures and blinds by methods such as dusting, polishing and wiping.
- Cleans and disinfects washrooms and replenishes items such as soap and towels.
- Strips and washes beds and makes beds according to instructions of the area. Cleans, disinfects, and tidies items such as cupboards, lockers, basins and tables. Hangs and removes items such as window drapes and bed curtains using equipment such as step ladders.
- Empties and cleans waste containers from a variety of areas such as patient rooms, soiled rooms, offices and lobbies. Sorts and packages biomedical waste and recyclable materials for transport. Removes garbage from buildings and transports to central collection area.
- Reports damaged and/or inoperable fixtures and furniture and discusses concerns and issues with the Supervisor and/or Manager.
- Cleans snow from building entrances.
- Maintains related equipment by cleaning, lubricating and replacing items such as filters, vacuum bags and belts.
- Responds to emergency cleanups as required following established cleaning procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
What you bring
- Grade 10 or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to organize work.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Casual
Rate of Pay: $20.97 per hour
Union Affiliation: Facilities Subsector
Location: 600 W 10th Avenue, Vancouver
Hours of Work: 07:30-15:30, 09:00-17:00, 10:00-18:00, 15:30-23:30 – Monday to Sunday
Requisition #: HSK-CASCAN
What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.