More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
HVAC Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
Do you have your Red Seal Refrigeration Ticket and do you want to work in a stable environment that offers strong benefits, great hours and a great team environment? If you are looking for a chance to support health care by not only keeping facilities operating smoothly, but by being a part of the bigger team who works together to support patients and their families with all their needs while receiving care we have an exciting role for you. When you work with Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), you join a “work family” of consistent coworkers and location, with a set 7am-3pm schedule, and all the tools and materials you need are provided. No travel and no transporting…instead, enjoy great teamwork and an excellent health benefits and pension plan!
What you'll do
- Investigates HVAC trouble calls/alarms using methods such as accessing the building automation system (BAS) computer to look at system operational status and/or site conditions. Consults with end users to determine the nature of the problem, interprets HVAC systems engineering drawings, and specifications to determine sequence of operations, and visually inspects and/or tests instrumentation controls to determine if functioning within design parameters. Makes recommendations to the Head Refrigeration/Air Conditioning Mechanic for adjustments and/or repairs to enhance the efficiency of the system.
- Investigates temperature complaints/alarms by accessing the BAS computer terminal to assess any deviation between with the area’s HVAC control parameters and actual site conditions. Makes appropriate control adjustments where required. Starts/stops equipment and/or makes adjustments/overrides to the pre-set conditions via the BAS. Takes measurements such as temperature to determine if sensors are functioning.
- Assists the end users in changing the environmental condition required in the delivery of patient care through the modification/adjustment of HVAC control systems by reviewing control drawings, specifications and control design parameters followed by effecting data changes to set-points within the control system software and the verification of changes in the state of the environment.
- Operates and maintains Chillers, Cooling Towers and associated distribution pumps by checking and recording daily operating conditions and outputs and participating in the development strategies for staging and engaging these units to meet the daily cooling needs of the facilities in the most energy efficient and cost effective manner while maintaining peak operating conditions.
- Responds to indoor air quality complaints by conducting various air quality tests in the field such as temperature, humidity, oxygen/carbon dioxide levels including air balancing using methods such as measuring air flow using an electronic flow hood, comparing actual air flow measurements to specified standards, adjusting balancing valves in ducts, repairing and/or making recommendations for modifications.
- Participates in the Hospital’s energy conservation program by reviewing and modifying HVAC control programs through review of control drawings and specifications to determine the sequence of operations, inputting/changing BAS operating parameters using the software system prompts, menus, control language, and testing the system using a test circuit board.
- Repairs, rebuilds and installs pneumatic and electronic instrumentation and control devices, for valves, actuators, thermostats, electronic pneumatic transducers, air compressors, gauges, sensor, regulators, low voltage electric motors, and mixing boxes, using methods such as disassembling, replacing parts, diaphragms and actuators, reassembling mounting equipment using hangars, brackets or shelves, bench or field testing, and calibrating using hand and power tools.
- Tests and maintains the proper operation of the Building Automation System (BAS) by software and field verification of program function and field devices. Reviews BAS computer trend logs to look for fluctuations in environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity.
- Performs refrigeration work on direct expansion cooling systems by cleaning, repairing, calibrating and adjusting controllers and sensors, replacing components, and checking and fixing refrigerant leaks. Replaces components such as compressors, valves and fans. Installs motors, controls and switches and thread piping for gas and other fluids.
- Repairs and installs steam heating components and piping associated with the HVAC system such as steam coils, heat exchangers, traps, valves and strainers.
- Assists Steam Engineers as required in the repair and maintenance of the steam distribution piping system.
- Repairs fume hoods by testing airflow using a velocity probe and/or flow hood and repairing and/or replacing components such as the motor, blower, belts and flow sensors.
- Performs/documents regular verification of negative isolation room air handling systems and control devices to ensure they continue to operate within design parameters.
- Participates in the establishment and monitoring of HVAC preventative maintenance programs by establishing/updating preventative maintenance tasks and schedules using the computerized maintenance management system.
- Maintains computer hardware and software database associated with the BAS by troubleshooting computer software and hardware problems and installing new devices. Performs backup to the BAS database
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
What you'll bring
- Valid Red Seal Refrigeration Ticket required.
- Two (2) years recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Relatable experience: HVAC and Refrigeration Technician, HVAC Technician Hydronics Technician; Installer-repairer-servicer, central air conditioning; Mechanic, a/c / heating / refrigeration; HVAC Mechanic; Journeyman / Journeywoman Mechanic, Transport Refrigeration Mechanic.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Regular Full Time
Wage: $35.11/ per hour + benefits ( health and dental, pension and vacation)
Location: 4500 Oak St Vancouver, BC V6H 2N9
Hours/Days of Work: 07:00-15:00, Monday through Friday
Requisition # 116114E
What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.