More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Industrial Hygienist, Environmental Health Services - BC Centre for Disease Control
Industrial Hygienist, Environmental Health Services
BC Centre for Disease Control, Vancouver BC
What you’ll do
- Promote consistent interpretation and application of regulatory requirements pertaining to environmental hygiene and health in response to requests received from health authorities, ministries and health care professionals/officials.
- Research complex environmental hygiene and health issues and provide related expert, technical advice, information and consultation to both internal and external partners.
- Lead and/or participate in provincial working groups to address specific environmental hygiene and health issues.
- Develop and maintain relationships with health authorities, provincial ministries, academic institutions, professional societies, as well as other relevant provincial, national and international organizations with scientific functions relevant to environmental health, in order to share information, expertise, and to provide science-based responses to complex questions.
- Apply principles, strategies and techniques of environmental hygiene and health to identify, assess and support health authorities and other provincial partners with controlling risk of exposures.
- Lead interdisciplinary project/work teams and monitors project team activity against project plans. Identifies and resolves issues. Provide guidance and leadership to project teams.
What you bring
- A level of education, training equivalent to a Master’s Degree in Occupational Hygiene or acceptable science or engineering program
- Five (5) years recent related experience in a healthcare/public health environment including experience in program planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Registration or eligible for registration as a Registered Occupational Hygienist (ROH) or a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Commitment to the value of continuous learning and an open curiosity for new ideas and innovation.
- Proficiency in the use of personal computers; ability to use related equipment including word processing, spreadsheet, database and internet tools.
- Experience with R, Python, or GIS software is an asset.
You also have demonstrated the ability to:
- Lead, plan, organize, and problem-solve.
- Collaborate within a team environment; demonstrated ability to work as an effective member of a team and to work independently.
- Adapt and be flexible to changing priorities and demands.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’Yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and spiritual and psychological health & safety programs.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Flexible work options including flextime, work locations and job sharing (eligibility will vary)
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver BC, V5Z 4R4
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Requisition Number: 113761
What we do
BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) bccdc.ca is dedicated to preventing and controlling communicable disease and promoting environmental health for the province.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of September 6, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.