More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Infection Control Practitioner
The Infection Control Practitioner (ICP) reports to the Director, the Agency Medical Lead and/or the Corporate Director, PHSA Infection Prevention & Control Services. The ICP has an active role in the prevention, surveillance, and control of infections; and implements and evaluates policies, procedures and programs for infection prevention and control within the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) of BC. The Infection Control Practitioner collaborates with the Agency Specific Infection Control Committee and the other members of the PHSA Infection Prevention and Control Service (PHSA IPACS). The ICP also maintains liaison with PHSA Agency Administrators, Nursing and Patient Care Services on operational and professional matters.
What you’ll do:
- Monitor compliance of patients, visitors, employees, contracted providers, students/residents, and volunteers with effective infection prevention and control policies and procedures including routine practices and additional precautions.
- Complete rounds of inpatient units, and act as a member of the interdisciplinary team while discussing and problem solving various infection prevention and control issues related to patient movement, isolation, outbreaks etc.
- Provide in the moment education to patients, visitors, employees, contracted providers, students/residents, and volunteers on infection prevention and control topics and issues while on the units.
- Prepare and deliver ongoing in-service education programs to employees, contracted providers, students/residents, and volunteers on issues such as routine practices, preventing the spread of communicable diseases, and cleaning and disinfection.
- Maintain the Infection Control manual by reviewing protocols and developing new policies and/or procedures to ensure material is up-to-date with current evidence based practice, in conjunction with the Director, Agency Medical Lead, Corporate Director, and agency-specific Infection Control Committee, and ensure that revisions are distributed to departments.
- Assist in implementation of approved changes and evaluate the effectiveness of the modifications on a regular basis, in collaboration with all key stakeholders.
- Initiate infection control rounds and epidemiological investigations for infectious disease outbreaks.
- Perform nosocomial and environmental infection surveillance, including focused surveillance of selected patient groups by capturing data and maintaining computerized records of details such as location, isolation, general treatment of patient infections, and realized or potential and related problems.
- Interpret, prepare and report surveillance results to the Director, the Agency Medical Lead, the Corporate Director, appropriate Agency departments and committees, including recommendations to management for changes and improvements.
- Report all communicable or contagious diseases to public health officials as necessary per agency process and as required by law by calling and/or providing written reports according to guidelines.
- Participate as a member of the Infection Control Committee by providing reports on unit activities, bringing issues and concerns to the attention of the Committee, and recommending/initiating follow-up action as required.
- Participate in research projects by identifying the need for data collection, collating and analyzing data, summarizing and writing material for publication as directed.
- Represent Infection Prevention & Control Services, participating on committees as the Infection Control consultant on issues such as Employee Health, Occupational Health and Safety, Supply and Equipment, and Housekeeping Services.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the community at large, including the Public Health Department, Tuberculosis Control and the BC Centre for Disease Control.
- Participate in the assessment, selection and monitoring of new equipment as it relates to infection prevention and control.
- Consult regarding planning renovations/construction to ensure infection prevention and control standards are incorporated into the design.
- Maintain knowledge of current developments in the infection control field, through a variety of methods including review of relevant literature, consulting with other professionals and attending relevant education programs as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
What you bring:
- Graduation from an approved School of Nursing with current practicing registration as an RN or RPN with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Minimum of three (3) years' recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Recognized post graduate Infection Control education and/or certification (Certification Board for Infection Control).
- Incumbent must be willing to complete an on-line educational infection control program if not already completed.
- For certain facilities performance of the duties requires a continually updated knowledge of changes and developments in the practice of psychiatric nursing and of applicable Federal and Provincial legislation (the Criminal Code of Canada, Forensic Psychiatry Act, the Mental Health Act, the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the Young Offenders Act, Public Trustee Act, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of a personal computer and applicable software.
- Effective leadership, interpersonal, teaching and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, organize work and set priorities.
- Ability to access and critically review literature.
- Ability to coordinate, implement and evaluate educational programs.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to handle unexpected situations calmly and in a professional manner.
- Good negotiating skills.
What’s in it for you:
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job type: Regular Full-Time
Labour Agreement: Nurses’ Bargaining Association
Rate of Pay: $42.25 – 51.78/hr
Location: 600 W. 10th Ave. Vancouver, BC
Closing date: Open until position is filled
Number of Positions: 2
Reference number: 095619E
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). PHSA provides specialized health services to British Columbians, including cancer care, organ transplantation, pediatrics, emergency services, mental health and substance use services. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: https://jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
We hire on the basis of merit and encourage all qualified applicants to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences. We strive to create a safe and welcoming environment where everyone can come to work and be their best, authentic self.