More than just a job.
As a successful candidate, you will be part of a team that processes and analyzes patient samples and produces results that healthcare practitioners rely on to make diagnoses. You will follow established protocols and utilize quality control guidelines to produce accurate laboratory test results. You will collaborate with highly trained colleagues in a technical, ever changing, analytical environment.
- Job Type: Full-Time, Part-Time,
- Job Level: Entry, Mid
- Travel: Minimal
What does it take to be a successful Laboratory team member at PHSA? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
About Lower Mainland Laboratories
Lower Mainland Laboratories (LM Labs) is a service of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). We are responsible for providing public laboratory services at 31 laboratory sites and 33 patient services centres throughout the Lower Mainland of British Columbia.
Hospital-based laboratories within Vancouver Coastal Health, Fraser Health, Providence Health Care and PHSA provide both inpatient and outpatient laboratory services. Our specialty laboratories provide a variety of reference and specialized testing.
Seventy to eighty percent of clinical decisions are based on laboratory test results. Our highly trained staff are committed to providing the highest quality laboratory services to all our clients. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people, Be compassionate, Dare to innovate, Cultivate partnerships, Serve with purpose.
"Labs often work in the background of our health care system, operating largely behind the scenes and out of sight – to provide the data clinicians need for diagnoses and treatment decisions."Craig Ivany Chief Provincial Diagnostics Officer, PHSA
"If working in St. Paul’s Anatomical Pathology department has taught me anything throughout the three years of my time working here, above all else, engaging with the highly supportive leadership and team has been essential to my development and growth as a technologist."Jason Chao Medical Lab Technologist, St Paul's Hospital
"I began my career with PHSA as a Medical Laboratory Technologist, and currently I am a Technical Coordinator. Working at PHSA has allowed me to work with others who are also passionate in delivering the best patient care by providing high quality laboratory results."Amadea Kristanti Technical Coordinator, BC Children's & Women's Labs
Who We Are — LM Labs
We provide laboratory testing services at 31 sites across the Lower Mainland.
These include laboratories based in each of the acute care hospitals in the Lower Mainland and Central Coast and specialty laboratories that provide province-wide reference and specialty testing.
Innovation, Courage and Teamwork
COVID-19 has pulled labs from behind the scenes onto centre stage. Under immense pressure, courageous lab teams are collaborating across the province to rapidly and thoughtfully expand our test capacity and drive innovation together.
The Story of B.C.'s Leading-Edge COVID-19 Test Development
Long before the first case in B.C., our labs were already hard at work on a new COVID-19 diagnostic test, led by the Public Health Laboratory at the BC Centre for Disease Control.
Benefits and Perks
Benefits vary by job type and are confirmed in the interview and hiring process.
Extended health and dental benefits
Health and wellness programs
Discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs
Access to more than 2,000 In-House Training Programs
Paid Time Off
12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement
Work within a coordinated provincial lab network
Awards & Recognition
Internal awards programs, such as PHSA+, that recognize the outstanding efforts of our people
Lead, Development & Validation, BC Children's & BC Women's Hospitals- Laboratory - LM Labs
Lead, Development & Validation
BC Children’s & Women’s Laboratory, LM Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, Vancouver
What you’ll do
- Research, evaluate and suggest improvements for laboratory procedures, equipment and instrumentation relating to sample preparation and analysis with the objectives of (1) improved quality of testing such as enhanced analytical performance, (2) increasing throughput for large volume testing assays, (3) decreased per sample cost, and (4) improved turnaround time.
- Work collaboratively with medical staff and operations leadership to determine priorities for method development in the laboratory. Collaborate with clinical and technical staff to create or improve Standard Operating Procedures that the rest of the laboratory has to follow.
- Use exceptional project management skills to lead the validation and implementation of new clinical assays, ensuring the validation and related documentation conforms to accreditation requirements under the direction of the Divisional medical leaders. Keep accurate records of data collected for assay evaluation and validation and uses statistical skills to prepare performance data for review and approval.
- Establishe procedures to monitor the ongoing performance of clinical assays including design and use of statistical algorithms to indicate performance changes requiring intervention.
- Train technologists in new methodologies and troubleshooting existing laboratory assays when required. Provide technical work direction to Technical Coordinators (medical lab technologists) relating to validation activities.
What you bring
- A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to a PhD in biochemistry, analytical chemistry, experimental pathology or equivalent with extensive hands-on experience in one or more medical laboratory science.
- Three to five (3-5) year’s in an analytical laboratory environment in addition to hands on assay development and method validation.
- Exceptional Master of Science candidates with five to seven (5-7) relevant work experience may be considered.
- Previous experience in a clinical or otherwise regulated analytical environment (biotechnology, pharmaceutical, contract research, etc.) is preferred.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in analytical principles and biomedical sciences.
- Strong statistical skills and ability to interact with a variety of software applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of foundational quality assurance principles.
- Strong analytical track record.
- Effective project manager; demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple complex projects.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
4500 Oak Street, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Monday to Friday; 0800-1600/0900-1700
Requisition Number: 109069
What we do
Lower Mainland Laboratories (LML) lmlabs.phsa.ca provides laboratory testing at 31 sites across the lower mainland and central coast of B.C., including acute care hospital laboratories and and specialty laboratories.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of June 14, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.