More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Medical Device Reprocessing Technician - Children's & Women's Health Centre
Medical Device Reprocessing Technician
Children’s & Women’s Health Centre
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Medical Device Reprocessing Technician (MDR) at C&W performs specific duties related to the cleaning, decontaminating, checking, testing, assembling, packaging, wrapping and sterilizing of re-processable and reusable hospital products, Operating Room instruments and the equipment utilized for patient care, in accordance with established standards, policies and procedures.
What you’ll do
- Reprocess critical and semi-critical devices such as surgical instrumentation, respiratory items, laerdal suction units, incubators, and scopes, using steam sterilization, low temperature sterilization and high level disinfection.
- Check and test functionality of medical devices according to Manufacturers Instruction for Use (MIFU).
- Identify broken and non-functioning devices and reports these to the MDR RN.
- Operate departmental equipment such as Steam Sterilizers, Low temperature Sterilizers, Washer Decontaminator, Cart washer, Ultrasonic washer, Dryers, Endoscope Reprocessor, TEE Reprocessor, and Sealers.
- Participate in routine maintenance of the department’s equipment by cleaning, checking and testing sterilizers, washers and other equipment for functionality.
- Report maintenance needs to MDR RN on duty.
- Sort, inspect, and reassemble equipment, procedure trays, and O.R. sets according to written procedures.
- Wrap and label O.R. instruments, procedure trays, and supplies for sterilization according to written procedures.
- Fill orders for Medical Device Reprocessing Department according to requests.
- Maintain inventory levels of sterile supplies.
What you bring
- Grade 12, successful completion of a recognized Medical Device Processing (MDR) Technician course.
- One (1) year recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the hospital.
You also have:
- Knowledge of surgical and medical terminology.
- Mathematical aptitude.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to deal effectively with others.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Wage: $24.99 per hour
Location: 4500 Oak Street, Vancouver BC, V6H 2N9
Hours of Work: Rotating Schedule; 0730-1530, 1100-1900, 1530-2330, 2330-0730
Requisition # 126751
What we do
BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) provides care for the most seriously ill or injured children and youth from across British Columbia.
BC Women's Hospital & Health Centre (BCW) is dedicated to improving the health of women, newborns and families through a comprehensive range of services, research and education.
BCCH and BCW are part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA, BCCH and BCW are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.