More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Medical Investigation Facility & Medical Day Unit Nurse - BC Children's Hospital
Medical Investigation Facility & Medical Day Unit Nurse
BC Children’s Hospital
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Medical Investigation Facility & Medical Day Unit Nurse provides and coordinates outpatient nursing activities in partnership with patients and families; such as patient assessment, patient and family teaching; Medical Day Unit and Metabolic Diagnostic procedures, and health promotion activities consistent with established policies, standards of practice, and philosophy at British Columbia’s Children’s Hospital.
What you’ll do
- Conduct direct care and assessment of patient, while performing activities such as reviewing patient/family history and developing a care plan specific for the patient and family.
- Collaborate with family, nursing staff, medical staff, other health care disciplines, and community agencies/services in preparation for testing room procedures, during procedures and follow-up.
- Provide direct patient care for and support for families in the Medical Day Unit and Metabolic Investigation Facility.
- Assist with various procedures, utilize developmentally appropriate nursing skills and techniques:
- Start IV’s or access central lines, drawing blood samples as required, and monitor patients receiving IV drug infusions, perform endocrine/diabetes/metabolic/renal disease/transplant testing procedures.
- Administer or assist with administration of medications including conscious sedation.
- Monitor patients prior to, during and following procedures.
- Support family by providing information, or a link to information, and by directing them to distraction techniques to help their child.
- Ensure the appropriate documentation has been completed regarding medical orders, legal requirements for consent, pre-registration and nursing interventions inclusive of telephone and email communication.
- Provide information to patients, families, nursing staff, health care professionals and community agencies/services regarding care requirements of children referred to the Medical Day Unit and/or the Medical Investigation Facility.
What you bring
- Graduation from an approved School of Nursing with current practicing registration as an RN with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Two years recent related clinical nursing experience.
- Ambulatory care experience preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Current Intravenous and Central Line certification.
You will also have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Relate effectively to patients and their families and others.
- Function as an active member of a multidisciplinary team, and function as a nursing resource.
- Organize work and physically perform the duties of the job.
- Operate related equipment
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Regular, Part-Time opportunities (0.80 FTE)
Wage: $36.23 to 47.58 per hour
Location: 4500 Oak Street, Vancouver, V6H 2N9
Hours of Work: Mon to Fri, variable; 0700 - 1500, 0800 -1600, 0830- 1630, 0900 – 1700
Requisition Number # 118207
What we do
BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) provides care for the most seriously ill or injured children and youth from across British Columbia.
BCCH is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCCH are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of November 21, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.