Medical Laboratory Technologist, Evening Virology - Provincial Laboratory Medicine Services (PLMS)
As a successful candidate, you will be part of a team that processes and analyzes patient samples and produces results that healthcare practitioners rely on to make diagnoses. You will follow established protocols and utilize quality control guidelines to produce accurate laboratory test results. You will collaborate with highly trained colleagues in a technical, ever changing, analytical environment.
Job Type: Full-Time, Part-Time, Casual, Contractor
Job Level: Entry, Mid
- Travel: Minimal
What does it take to be a successful Laboratory team member at PHSA? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
“Labs often work in the background of our health care system, operating largely behind the scenes and out of sight – to provide the data clinicians need for diagnoses and treatment decisions.”Craig Ivany
Chief Provincial Diagnostics Officer, PHSA
“I began my career with PHSA as a Medical Laboratory Technologist, and currently I am a Technical Coordinator. Working at PHSA has allowed me to work with others who are also passionate in delivering the best patient care by providing high quality laboratory results.”Amadea Kristanti
Technical Coordinator, BC Children’s & Women’s Labs
“If working in St. Paul’s Anatomical Pathology department has taught me anything throughout the three years of my time working here, above all else, engaging with the highly supportive leadership and team has been essential to my development and growth as a technologist.”Jason Chao
Medical Lab Technologist, St Paul's Hospital
Benefits vary by job type and are confirmed in the interview and hiring process.
Extended Health and Dental Benefits
Health and Wellness Programs
Discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs
Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs
Paid Time Off
13 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement
Work within a coordinated Provincial lab network
Awards & Recognition
Internal awards programs, such as PHSA+, that recognize the outstanding efforts of our people
Job DetailsMedical Laboratory Technologist, Evening Virology - Provincial Laboratory Medicine Services (PLMS) Vancouver, Canada
Medical Laboratory Technologist, Evening Virology
Provincial Laboratory Medicine Services
What you’ll do
- Test clinical and other specimens using tissue culture and nucleic acid technique, and evaluate and verify results according to established procedures.
- Identify viruses using fluorescent microscopy, rapid immunoassays, shell vial and traditional cell culture methods.
- Prepare stock solutions and reagents following standard operating procedures.
- Perform cell culturing technique for virus propagation and maintenance of continuous cell line, and semi automatic nucleic acid extraction and detection by real time PCR.
- Respond to requests and inquiries for all referred in tests. Seek direction as required from the Section Head, Laboratory Manager, or Director as appropriate on customer service issues.
- Perform all related functions required for the production of final reports such as preparing, testing and assessing quality control results prior to release of clinical results, troubleshoots specimen adequacy and prepares dilutions as required according to established procedures.
- Maintain and document maintenance of laboratory equipment. Recognize and report malfunctions in equipment.
- Provide input in the development and maintenance of standard operating procedures (SOPs) for the Virology Section and making recommendations for changes.
- Assist with information management, such as workload statistics, through methods such as gathering information, completing analysis and recording information.
- Demonstrate routine laboratory procedures to students and technologists.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
What you bring
- Graduation from a recognized program in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Current registration with the Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
- Two years of recent, related experience as a Registered Technologist (RT) or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
You will also have
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, manage time, and work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to operate related equipment and use related software.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the job.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Job Type: Regular, Full-Time
Wage: $35.62 - $44.47/hour
Location: 4500 Oak Street, Vancouver BC, V6H 2N9
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday, 1500 - 2300
Requisition # 160140E
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
Provincial Laboratory Medicine Services (PLMS) provides laboratory testing at 31 sites across the lower mainland and central coast of BC, including acute care hospital laboratories and specialty laboratories.
PLMS is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and PLMS are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey—one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of February 22, 2024. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.
Our Programs Explore to find the right program for you at PHSA.
Clinical and Systems Transformations | Careers at PHSA Clinical & Systems Transformation (CST) is a large-scale, multi-year project between Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH), PHSA, and PHC. Learn more here.
Rewarding Health Care Nursing Careers and Jobs with PHSA Provide specialty nursing in clinical health care and research. Explore careers throughout B.C. with the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
Indigenous Health Care Jobs and Careers with PHSA Join our thriving Indigenous workforce in a corporate or clinical role. Explore careers in B.C. with the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
Physician Careers at PHSA Our PHSA medical leadership team provides care that is among the best in the world, contributing to research that is changing the future of health care.
Health Care Correctional Health Services Jobs and Careers With PHSA Correctional Health Services provides exceptional care for incarcerated patients. Join us in a career with Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
Jobs for You
You have not recently viewed any jobs
You have not saved any jobs