More than just a job.
As the successful candidate and a technologist certified by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science, you will be part of a team that analyzes patient samples and produces results that healthcare practitioners rely on to make diagnoses. You will follow established protocols and utilize quality control guidelines to produce accurate laboratory test results. You will collaborate with highly trained colleagues in a technical, ever changing, analytical environment.
- Various Shifts
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What does it take to be a successful Medical Lab Technologist at PHSA? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Critical thinking
- Team player
LM Labs is a service of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) which plans, manages, and evaluates specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people, Be compassionate, Dare to innovate, Cultivate partnerships, Serve with purpose.
"My role as an MLT provides an opportunity for me to positively impact to the health of a patient who may be dealing with a serious medical condition."~ Len, Medical Lab Technologist, Richmond Hospital
"My role as an MLT allows me to be part of an amazing team that works extremely hard at reporting quality results for our patients."~ Kari, Medical Lab Technologist, Vancouver General Hospital
"Working as an medical technologist allows me to work with the latest technologies and alongside passionate caring people."~ Peter, Medical Lab Technologist, St. Paul's Hospital
"My role as an MLT gives me an opportunity to do a job I love and be an integral member of the health team that provides accurate and timely results that impacts the lives of patients."~ Angela, Medical Lab Technologist, Vancouver General Hospital
Benefits and Perks
Extended health and dental benefits
Health and wellness programs
Defined benefit pension program
Medical Laboratory Technologist, Genome Diagnostics - BC Children's Hospital & BC Women's Hospital and Health Centre, LM Labs
The Medical Laboratory Technologist, Genome Diagnostics performs clinical genetic procedures in accordance with established protocols and participates in the development of new procedures. The Genome Diagnostics Medical Laboratory Technologist also performs related laboratory duties including operating and maintaining equipment, maintaining supplies, data management and reporting.
In this role, you will:
- Perform clinical genetic procedures on samples submitted for Molecular Genetics and/or Cytogenetics testing following established protocols.
- Perform a variety of quality assurance and quality control duties including ensuring equipment is operating according to established standards.
- Ensure equipment validation, calibration and maintenance is completed according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), review equipment records for documentation of maintenance and completion of servicing.
- Recognize malfunctions in equipment and initiate corrective action and forward discrepancies/concerns to the Technical Coordinator.
- Perform data entry, data retrieval and prepare laboratory worksheets and reports.
- Enter daily workload statistics into the laboratory information system.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- A Bachelor of Science.
- A certification with the Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science as a Clinical Genetics Technologist.
- Graduation from a recognized post diploma program in Clinical Genetics Technology.
- Two (2) years of recent, related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
You have demonstrated:
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, patients and community health care partners, both verbally and in writing.
- Attention to detail and organizational skills.
- The ability to be self-motivated, set priorities, manage time, and work independently.
- Knowledge of specialty area and current knowledge of the most recent advances in clinical genetics.
- Technical competence to perform procedures using molecular and/or cytogenetic techniques.
- The ability to operate related equipment and use related software.
- Knowledge of computerized laboratory information systems.
- The physical ability to perform the job.
If this sounds like you, apply now!
Lower Mainland Laboratories is a service of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), responsible for providing public laboratory services throughout the Lower Mainland of British Columbia. Hospital-based laboratories in Vancouver Coastal Health, Fraser Health, Providence Health Care and PHSA provide both inpatient and outpatient laboratory services. These specialty laboratories provide a variety of reference and specialized testing.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Patients first • Best value • Results matter • Excellence through knowledge • Open to possibilities.
The PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
- Reference #: 85929
- Regular, Full-Time (1.00 FTE)
- Wage: $32.00 - $39.89 per hour
- Rotating Shifts: 0800-1600
- 4480 Oak St, Vancouver, BC V6H 3N1
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of July 22, 2019. Please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.