Medical Technologist I, Vancouver General HospitalApply Now Apply Later
Lower Mainland Laboratories is a service of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), responsible for providing public laboratory services throughout the Lower Mainland of British Columbia. Hospital-based laboratories in Vancouver Coastal Health, Fraser Health, Providence Health Care and PHSA provide both inpatient and outpatient laboratory services. These specialty laboratories provide a variety of reference and specialized testing.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Patients first • Best value • Results matter • Excellence through knowledge • Open to possibilities.
Medical Technologist I, Vancouver General Hospital
Reference # 80117
Temporary, Part-Time (0.60 FTE until July 2019)
Wage: $28.62 to $35.69
855 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver
Under general supervision, the Medical Laboratory Technologist performs technical work involved in the duties associated with laboratory test procedures. As well, the Medical Laboratory Technologist evaluates and verifies results, and prepares related reports.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Receives, processes, and stores laboratory specimens for analysis, according to established procedures.
- Performs analytical procedures following established protocols. Files results in a timely manner to provide patient/resident reports to physicians and other associated health care professionals. Recognizes abnormal results, and follows up effectively, according to established procedures
- Enters and retrieves data using the Laboratory Information System, including patient demographics and test results, and answers inquiries about test results from hospital staff and physicians.
- Follows established quality control guidelines, performs quality control procedures and records results.
- Collects blood and other patient specimens for analysis, according to established procedures.
Education, Experience and Training
- Graduation within the last two years from a recognized school of Medical Technology.
- Minimum of one year’s recent related experience in the relevant laboratory discipline(s), or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) Certified.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with and deal effectively with, patients/residents, families, staff, physicians, research staff, and other health care providers.
- Current knowledge of relevant laboratory testing, techniques, methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of legislation and government policies and procedures related to laboratory technology.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with and/or guide others in conflict situations.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize issues and workload, and complete assigned work.
- Ability to operate related equipment, including computerized information systems.
- Ability to participate in research.
- Demonstrated ability to demonstrate procedures to other employees and students.
We invite you to apply by clicking on the “Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile athttp://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of February 21, 2019. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk firstname.lastname@example.org a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.
Applications will be accepted until this position has been filled.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://jobs.phsa.ca
For more information on the Lower Mainland Laboratories please visit: http://lmlabs.phsa.ca/
The PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.