More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Nurse Consultant, TB Services - Vancouver - BC Centre for Disease Control
Nurse Consultant, TB Services
BC Centre for Disease Control
Provincial TB Services (TBS) provides TB consultation for healthcare providers across BC. We also manage the majority of active TB cases and coordinate the case management of drug-resistant TB and complex pediatric cases. We provide approximately 25,000 points of service in the Lower Mainland, and approximately 800 TB clinic visits a month. We offer testing, diagnosis and treatment to marginalized individuals exposed to TB in urban and rural or remote areas.
Watch BCCDC's commitment to reducing the impact of TB in our community: https://youtu.be/q7Pbmg7dj9I
We are seeking a Nurse Consultant (CASUAL) to join our team
What you’ll do
- Oversee the case management for cases of active TB, Latent TB and MOTT cases in B.C. and the Yukon. Provide direction to Public Health Nurses and be accountable for direction given in accordance with the Provincial TB Program.
- Provide treatment services to people diagnosed with active TB by methods such as reviewing incoming lab reports confirming active TB, assessing infectiousness of case, level of isolation required, and level of contact tracing indicated; prioritizing tested people to inform of confirmed active TB and communicating confirmed active TB to clients; providing clients with instructions, supportive counseling; and assisting clients understanding of disease and treatment with information and education, and providing referrals as required to control the spread.
- Provide contact tracing recommendations for clients with active TB to ensure contact notification and documents are adequate, ensuring that confidentiality is maintained at all times; and by following up with contacts to document testing and treatment.
- Provide nurse consultation for the duration of treatment and follow-up after treatment completed, relay information, and provide tools on conducting contact tracing; answering questions on diagnostic tools, testing, prevention, and process.
- Follow up on results of contact screenings done by PHN’s in the Province.
- Manage drug re-orders and enter all abnormal blood work in client file and consults with PHN regarding directions. Review all normal blood work and correspondence from the field.
What you Bring
- Graduation from an approved School of Nursing with current practicing registration as an Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Three (3) years’ experience in public health and two (2) years working in TB care, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
You have the ability to
- Apply comprehensive knowledge and case management principles.
- Demonstrate leadership, time management, organizational, teamwork and team building skills.
- Model and foster a positive, collaborative, and respectful team working environment.
- Perform teaching, staff development, preceptor skills and to apply principles of adult education.
- Function as an effective leader, motivator, coach/mentor, and team member within a multidisciplinary setting.
- Use excellent analytical, organizational and communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Establish workload priorities, problem solve, adjust to new or unexpected events, and deal effectively with and/or guide others in resolution of conflict issues.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
$43.09 to $52.82
655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver
Monday to Friday; 0800-1600/0830-1630
Requisition Number: 107978
What we do
BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) bccdc.ca/ is dedicated to preventing and controlling communicable disease and promoting environmental health for the province.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.