More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Nurse Practitioner, GI Tumour Group - BC Cancer Vancouver
Nurse Practitioner, GI Tumour
BC Cancer, Vancouver BC
In this patient-centred Nurse Practitioner practice, the focus is on caring for patients with gastrointestinal malignancies. The Nurse Practitioner will work autonomously within the collaborative interdisciplinary team at BC Cancer. Their role will be to work with one of the medical oncologists in a shared care model where the successful applicant will help triage, work in outpatient clinics, and address outside calls from patients or health care providers to support oncology patients in the community. Opportunities to participate in clinical trials and research will also exist. Oncology specific training will be provided and prior oncology experience is not necessary.
What you’ll do
- Diagnose and treat previously undiagnosed clients for undifferentiated diseases, illnesses and conditions within the Nurse Practitioner’s scope of practice; order appropriate screening diagnostic investigations; interpret reports of investigations and analyze information to monitor progress and plan treatment. As part of the multidisciplinary team, develop and implement treatment plans. Write orders for treatment and medications; make patient rounds as appropriate and monitor ongoing care; provide first line care in emergencies.
- Establish priorities for management of health conditions; provide follow-up treatment; communicate with clients and families about health findings, diagnose and prognose; support and counsel clients in their personal responses to diseases, disorders and conditions.
- Collaborate and/or consult with physicians or other health care and social service providers as appropriate to assess and diagnose client status. Accept referrals from, or makes referrals to, physicians and other health professionals.
- Prescribe drugs within the statutory and regulatory standards, limits and conditions for Nurse Practitioners and within applicable employer policies and procedures. Apply knowledge of pharmacology and evidence based practice in selecting, prescribing, administering and monitoring the effects of drugs to treat diseases disorders, conditions or injuries.
- Participate in research contributing to improved patient care and advances in nursing, health policy development and population health. Synthesize qualitative and quantitative data from a variety of sources about determinants of health; maintain population health focus by participating in and implementing evidence based screening and health promotion for populations at risk and implement population based harm reduction strategies.
- Participate in interdisciplinary staff, including NP & nursing, education and professional development through case presentations, mentoring, role modeling and facilitating the exchange of knowledge in the classroom, the clinical setting and the community; foster effective health care partnerships.
- Develop, implement and evaluate policies and procedures related to nursing and interdisciplinary practice, and identify and respond appropriately to legal and ethical issues that may arise in patient care.
- Assign work to other nursing and health care personnel; hire staff, provide supervision and evaluate staff performance if required.
What you bring
- Current registration as a Nurse Practitioner with the British Columbia College of Nurses & Midwives (BCCNM). Must be eligible to complete the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) through the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNM).
- Minimum of (4) years of recent, relevant clinical nursing experience.
- New Graduates encouraged to apply!
You will have the ability to:
- Perform the full scope of Nurse Practitioner duties and responsibilities.
- Define and articulate the specific areas of practice and client population for whom the NP is competent to provide health care services.
- Self-direct, interact, and adapt effectively with other professionals in complex, dynamic situations.
- Communicate and collaborate with patients and families about health findings, diagnosis, treatment, self care and prognosis.
- Communicate effectively and build relationships with nurses and other health professionals and disciplines using a variety of communication strategies. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to lead a team and work within a team.
- Transfer knowledge, teach coach and mentor others; ability to implement and evaluate planned change.
- Critically assess and evaluate health research literature to determine best practices; ability to introduce education and evidence based research into practice areas.
- Assess and recognize population health trends; able to plan and implement strategies for population based prevention and health promotion.
- Supervise others and evaluate the care they deliver as required.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- A commitment to your ongoing growth and professional development with eligibility for yearly professional development allowance.
- Nurse Practitioner Mentorship Program for experienced and new graduate NPs with onboarding training needs assessment in a specialty setting.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Temporary Full-Time (02/03/2023)
600 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Monday to Friday; 0830-1630
Requisition Number: 96752
What we do
BC Cancer bccancer.bc.ca provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of August 12, 2020. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.