More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Nurse Practitioner Metabolic and Looking Glass Program - BC Children's Hospital
Metabolic and Looking Glass Program, BC Children’s Hospital
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Metabolic Program is part of the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Programs. The program provides care for children and youth with mental health disorders who are at high risk for metabolic side effects associated with taking certain types of psychiatric medications or have pre-existing metabolic conditions. This position also supports the Looking Glass Residential Eating Disorders Program.
The Nurse Practitioner is responsible and accountable for the comprehensive assessment of patients and clients including diagnosing diseases, disorders and conditions. The Nurse Practitioner initiates treatment including health care management and therapeutic interventions, and prescribes medications in accordance with the statutory and regulatory standards, limits and conditions, and employer policies and procedures. Nurse Practitioners provide professional guidance to other health professionals and participate autonomously as members of the interdisciplinary health teams, making referrals to specialist physicians as appropriate.
What you’ll do
- Diagnose and treat previously undiagnosed clients for undifferentiated diseases, illnesses and conditions within the Nurse Practitioner’s scope of practice.
- Order appropriate screening diagnostic investigations; interpret reports of investigations and analyze information to monitor progress and plan treatment.
- As part of the multidisciplinary team, develop and implement treatment plans.
- Write orders for treatment and medications; make patient rounds as appropriate and monitor ongoing care, providing first line care in emergencies.
- Establish priorities for management of health conditions; provide follow-up treatment; communicate with clients and families about health findings, diagnoses and prognoses; support and counsel clients in their personal responses to diseases, disorders and conditions.
- Collaborate and/or consult with physicians or other health care and social service providers as appropriate to assess and diagnose client status. Accept referrals from, or make referrals to, physicians and other health professionals.
- Prescribe drugs within the statutory and regulatory standards, limits and conditions for Nurse Practitioners and within applicable employer policies and procedures. Apply knowledge of pharmacology and evidence-based practice in selecting, prescribing, administering and monitoring the effects of drugs to treat diseases disorders, conditions or injuries.
What you bring
- Current registration as a Nurse Practitioner with the British Columbia College of Nurses & Midwives (BCCNM)
- Must be eligible to complete the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) through the British Columbia College of Nurses & Midwives (BCCNM).
- Minimum of (4) years of recent, relevant clinical nursing experience.
- Ability to perform the full scope of Nurse Practitioner duties and responsibilities.
- New graduate NPs are welcome and encouraged to apply, and will be provided with dedicated training and mentorship to help grow your Nurse Practitioner career.
You have demonstrated ability to:
- Transfer knowledge
- Teach, coach and mentor others
- Implement and evaluate planned change
- Critically assess and evaluate health research literature to determine best practices
- Introduce education and evidence-based research into practice areas
- Assess and recognize population health trends
- Plan and implement strategies for population-based prevention and health promotion
- Supervise others and evaluate the care they deliver as required
What’s in it for you
Reimbursement for Nurse Practitioners (NPs) who complete the Objective Structured Clinical Exam (OSCE) is available. Upon successful completion, for NP candidates who have not yet completed the exam; and who are hired into a regular or temporary position with PHSA, OSCE reimbursement will be distributed in the form of a forgivable loan. The loan will be forgiven after one (1) year of continuous employment in a regular or temporary position with PHSA.
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- A commitment to your ongoing growth and professional development with eligibility for yearly professional development allowance.
- Nurse Practitioner Mentorship Program for experienced and new graduate NPs with onboarding training needs assessment in a specialty setting.
- Reimbursement for the cost of the Objective Structured Clinical Exam (OSCE).
- The opportunity to work with an award-winning inter-professional team on a campus that is passionate about making an impact in supporting NP practice.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike-sharing, and more.
For more information regarding this opportunity please contact Heather Finn at firstname.lastname@example.org. Relocation allowance may be available!
4500 Oak Street, Vancouver BC
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Monday to Friday; 0800 - 1600
Requisition Number: 104545
What we do
BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) provides care for the most seriously ill or injured children and youth from across British Columbia.
BCCH is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCCH are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of March 2, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.