More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Organ Recovery Assistant - BC Transplant Society
Organ Recovery Assistant
BC Transplant Society
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
Lower mainland, interior and island opportunities available!
The Organ Recovery Assistant (ORA) functions as an integral part of the Organ Donation and Hospital Development (ODHD) team.
What you’ll do
- Perform duties within the scope of practice of a Peri-operative Nurse/Technologist.
- Responsible for the setup and preparation of surgical procedures, including scrubbing in, setting up equipment, and handing surgical instruments to the surgeon.
- Participate in the recovery of organs by responding to the intra-operative requirements of each individual donor case as directed by the Surgical Recovery Specialist, and according to physician’s orders.
- Perform other related duties to support the donor hospital and BCT recovery team for the recovery of organs and tissues for transplantation.
- Participate in both deceased and living donor cases.
- Participate in organ import case where the organ will require staff escort on a commercial flight.
- Participate in team meetings as required.
- Assist with the orientation and training of new Organ Recovery Assistants.
What you bring
- A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to Graduation from an approved school of nursing, completion of a recognized OR program, or graduation from a Surgical Scrub Technologist Program.
- Three (3) years recent experience in an Operating Room/ Surgical Suite setting.
- Current CPR-Basic Certification recommended.
- Valid passport and eligibility to travel to/from the US.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
You also have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Work effectively within a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Respond to the dynamic circumstances in a donor surgery.
- Operate standard operating room, and BC Transplant-specific equipment.
- Organize workload and set priorities in a fast-paced surgical setting.
- Physically carry out the duties of the job, including flying in small planes.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Casual
Location: 555 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver BC, V5Z 3X7
Hours of Work: Varying Schedule; 2400-0800,0800-1600,1600-02400
Requisition # 115387
What we do
BC Transplant (BCT) provides oversight for all aspects of organ donation and transplantation across BC. BC Transplant is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCT are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.