More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position. Performs skilled painting and signage tasks at the journeyman level in the preparation of materials, equipment and selection of materials such as paint, varnish, stains, wall coverings and/or other finishes to interior and exterior surfaces in accordance with established policies, standards, procedures and regulatory codes.
What you'll do
- Liaises with the Carpentry Supervisor and receives direction on general maintenance and construction requirements related to upcoming painting and signage work.
- Reviews work requests and consults with user departments regarding specifications and other project requirements; interprets blueprints, drawings and specifications in order to determine the materials and equipment required and calculates materials and labour in estimating the costs of the projects and makes recommendations, as required.
- Prepares for work projects by arranging work schedules with user groups and assembling supplies, tools and equipment; prepares a variety of surfaces for painting by removing existing paint, taping, filling cracks, scraping and sanding of existing surfaces and applying putty and/or plaster, as required; prepares paint and other applicable finishes by tinting, mixing colours and/or other ingredients.
- Selects and applies coatings such as paint, varnish and stains to a variety of interior and exterior surfaces with a variety of tools such as brushes, paint rollers, sprayers as well as the use of hand power tools to complete work.
- Covers surfaces by cutting, pasting and applying materials such as fabrics, vinyl and minor repairs and installation of ceramic tiles; assembles various types of signage by cutting vinyl lettering, selecting and cutting appropriate blackboard and placing lettering onto the blackboard.
- Cleans, prepares and paints all exterior fire hydrants; paints parking lines, concrete embankments, parking stops, lettering, numbering and directional arrows throughout site parking areas, loading docks and roadways.
- Assigns work tasks to designated staff and provides related training and orientation; assembles and disassembles scaffolding, rigging and staging.
- Maintains an inventory of supplies, equipment and tools; completed related reports and records; recommends purchase of related equipment and supplies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
What you bring
- Certificate of Apprenticeship or Trades Qualification Certificate as a journeyman Painter and Decorator recognized by the Province of BC. Two (2) years' recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with other effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, drawings and specifications.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Wage: $31.88/hour + benefits (health and dental, sick time, pension and vacation)
Location: 4500 Oak Street, Vancouver BC V6H 2N9
Hours of Work: 07:00-15:00 Monday-Friday
Requisition #: 124479E
What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.