Patient Services Clerk, Acute Perinatal Program, BC Women's Hospital and Health CentreApply Now Apply Later
BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre (BCW) is the only facility in British Columbia devoted primarily to the health of women, newborns, and families. It provides a broad range of specialized women’s health services that address the health needs of women of all ages and backgrounds. BC Women’s is one of the largest maternity facilities in Canada, with over 7,000 births a year, and is both the major primary and secondary maternity services provider in the Lower Mainland and the cornerstone of the provincial tertiary care system. As an academic health centre, BCW’s mandate includes providing strong leadership in research and the education and professional development of health care professionals in areas related to the health of the populations we serve.
BCW is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), which plans, manages, and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate• Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
Patient Services Clerk, Acute Perinatal Program
Reference # 76094
Temporary Full Time (To April 30, 2019)
Wage $22.65 Hourly
Work Schedule 0800-1600 Monday-Friday
4500 Oak St, Vancouver, BC
The Patient Services Clerk performs a variety of clerical functions related to patient care and operation of the nursing unit. Duties include acting as a communication link for the unit by transcribing and processing physician’s orders, communicating with other departments and hospitals, coordinating patient appointments, arranging patient tests and receiving results, and answering telephones. Assembles and maintains patient charts and performs data entry functions. All duties are performed within established guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Answers telephone, takes and relays messages, calling/paging appropriate personnel to telephone for physician’s orders and patient diagnoses reports, and sends/receives faxed information.
- Enters patient information into Cerner system for discharge, transfers to other facilities and transfers between units.
- Makes appropriate arrangements for patients requiring procedures, both inside and outside the facility such as laboratory tests, CT scans, and ultrasounds by booking appointment times, booking ambulance as instructed, and informing applicable care provider.
- Transcribes and processes physicians’ orders to appropriate forms i.e. medication record, kardex, for laboratory tests, medications, diagnostic tests and treatments for Registered Nurse (RN)’s approval. Notifies primary RN of stat orders.
- Checks all charts for any physician’s orders not processed by the end of every shift, processes these orders as necessary, and notifies the charge nurse immediately with any questions related to unprocessed orders.
- Prepares charts for new admissions by performing such duties as making identification labels, imprinting chart sheets, and attaching physicians’ standing orders,
Education, Training, and Experience
Grade 12, medical terminology, and graduation from an approved Nursing Unit Clerk program plus one (1) year’s recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to utilize a variety of computer software applications.
- Ability to keyboard 40 w.p.m
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of 18 October 2018. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
We invite you to apply by clicking on the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://jobs.phsa.ca
For more information about the Agency that you are interested in, please visit the website at www.bcwomens.ca/
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.