More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Patient Transfer Coordinator
The Patient Transfer Coordinator (PTC) will receive telephone calls or online requests in a call center format, triaging cases to the appropriate case management team and functioning as a team member within specific case management teams to assist in the coordination of patient transfers. The PTC will enter patient and case information into a computerized database, arrange conference calls between the referring and receiving physicians/care provider or delegate when required and monitor transport status for inter facility transfers of all patient acuities. They will also develop and coordinate low acuity transfer plans including selection and commissioning of the appropriate transport provider, assist in maintaining an accurate bed availability database and produce various reports.
What you’ll do:
- Receive patient transfer requests via telephone or web channel, collect information such as patient demographics, and triage cases to the appropriate case management team.
- Handle information requests or direct to appropriate team as required.
- Process all patient transfer requests in patient database and follow on-line process maps and resources throughout each case. Remain familiar with provincial and regional referral pathways and associated protocols. Search online and by telephone for available bed options. Options can include out of province or country placements.
- Support the Clinical Transfer Nurse (CTN) with high acuity patient transfers through ongoing communications and problem solving.
- Develop and coordinate low acuity transfer plans in accordance with specified criteria or contracts.
- Commission transport providers, confirming and monitoring patient transfer plans and escalating cases that deviate from initial transfer plan to team CTN. Use provincial criteria to determine the most appropriate transport provider for non-medical transfers.
- Work with facilities to monitor the status of transferred patients to ensure the transfer system can support patient discharge plans.
- Help patients return safely to their home communities by maintaining a good understanding of all transport options for repatriation and providing advice and guidance to facilities.
- Enter and/or update data in accordance with standard procedures.
- Assist in maintaining accurate availability database when functioning as clerical member of a specialized team and pulls standardized reports from the computerized database by following set procedures for report generation.
- Participate in quality improvement by identifying problems and/or inconsistencies, as well as opportunities for improvement and providing feedback and recommendations to PTC Supervisor.
- Complete a variety of standard forms as required and forwards and/or files as identified.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What you bring:
- Grade 12, medical terminology and graduation from a recognized Nursing Unit Clerk program plus three years' recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to keyboard at 50 w.p.m.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to utilize a variety of computer software applications.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’Yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (12) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Flexible work options including flextime, work locations and job sharing (eligibility will vary)
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Location: 302 – 2955 Virtual Way Vancouver, BC
Closing date: Open until position is filled
Hours of Work: Rotating (4 on 4 off)
Requisition # 112391E
What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.