More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Pharmacist, Drug and Poison Information Centre (DPIC) - BC Centre for Disease Control
Pharmacist, Drug and Poison Information Centre (DPIC)
BC Centre for Disease Control, $45.00 to $56.29 per hour
The BC Drug and Poison Information Centre (DPIC) is located at the BC Centre for Disease Control in Vancouver and is staffed with pharmacists, nurses, and physicians who have specific expertise in the provision of drug and poison information services. DPIC provides information services, advice and consultation to the general public and healthcare professionals via the drug information line and the 24-hour poison information line.
As the Pharmacist with the DPIC, you will:
What you’ll do
- Respond to drug information requests during regular service hours by assessing, evaluating and making therapeutic recommendations for each information inquiry as a unique situation.
- Provide accurate unbiased drug information and clinical advice to health professionals, including pharmacists, in the province of BC.
- Exercise professional judgment regarding involved and complex drug information requests, and consult with the designated supervisor and/or peers and/or DPIC medical consultant for additional guidance when required.
- Respond to poison calls from the general public and healthcare professionals from throughout the province based on clinical knowledge, professional judgment and poison centre protocols. Provide first aid advice to poisoned patients and treatment information; establishes the need for patient assessment at a health care facility; assesses, evaluates and triages poison exposures, drug overdoses, and medication errors as required.
- Act as a resource to other healthcare professionals by providing treatment information and recommendations to physicians and nurses on the management of poisoned and overdosed patients.
- Assist physicians in the decision making process such as administration of antidotes including calculations and dosing frequency and advises on decisions regarding patient transfers.
- Notify hospital triage nurses regarding incoming poison patients, providing history of exposure, treatment recommendations and expected symptoms.
What you bring
- Current registration as a Pharmacist with the College of Pharmacists of British Columbia.
- Successful completion of a Hospital Pharmacy Residency Program or experience in Drug and Poison information.
- Two (2) years recent, related experience in ICU, critical care or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
You will have the ability to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of in-service teaching or continuing education principles.
- Demonstrate computer skills with relevant software such as MS Office and centre applications.
- Demonstrate oral and written communication skills and demonstrated listening skills.
- Work both independently and in collaboration with others.
- Prioritize and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Maintain accuracy and attention to detail.
- Work under stressful conditions in a calm and effective manner.
- Work a variety of shifts, including night shifts and weekends, as required.
- Demonstrate strong judgement, decision-making and analytical skills.
- Physically perform the duties of the position.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Temporary, Part-Time (Until March 4, 2022 - FTE 0.50)
Wage: $45.00 to $56.29 per hour
655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Rotating Schedule: days, evenings, nights- 0700-1500, 0842-1642, 1518-2318, 2300-08
Requisition Number: 104322
What we do
BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) bccdc.ca is dedicated to preventing and controlling communicable disease and promoting environmental health for the province.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of February 27, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.