More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Poison Information Nurse - BC Centre for Disease Control
The BC Drug and Poison Information Centre (DPIC) is located at the BC Centre for Disease Control in Vancouver and is staffed with pharmacists, nurses, and physicians who have specific expertise in the provision of drug and poison information services. DPIC provides information services, advice and consultation to the general public and healthcare professionals via the drug information line and the 24-hour poison information line.
The Poison Information Nurse provides information services to the public and healthcare professionals via a 24-hour poison information line located at the BCCDC Office in Vancouver.
- Responding appropriately to poison calls from throughout the province.
- Acting as a resource to other healthcare professionals, including nurses, by providing treatment recommendations and assists physicians in the decision-making process regarding treatment strategies including antidote use.
- Working with callers from the public and emergency response, calling ahead to emergency rooms to advise of incoming patients and treatment recommendations.
- Working with other facilities such as group homes, correctional facilities and outpost nursing stations to provide immediate information and guidance on medication errors, toxicology and other poison-related questions and calls.
- Graduated from an approved School of Nursing.
- Current practicing registration as an RN with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Three (3) years recent, related experience with triage and clinical assessment in poisoning events or poison control.
- Will consider experience in critical care environments such as Emergency Department, intensive care or high dependency units.
- Demonstrated knowledge of in-service teaching or continuing education principles.
Demonstrated computer skills with relevant software such as MS Office and centre applications.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and demonstrated listening skills.
- Demonstrated strong judgment, decision-making and analytical skills.
You have the ability to:
- Work both independently and in collaboration with others.
- Prioritize and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Maintain accuracy and attention to detail.
- Work under stressful conditions in a calm and effective manner.
- Work a variety of shifts, including night shifts and weekends, as required.
Reference #86905 & # 87170
Regular Part-Time (0.50 FTE)
Wage: $41.42-$50.77 Hourly
Rotating schedule: Days, evenings, nights - 0700-1500, 0842-1642, 1518-2318, 2300-0800
If this sounds like you, apply today!
The BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) provides provincial and national leadership in public health through surveillance, detection, prevention and consultation and provides both direct diagnostic and treatment services to people with disease of public health importance.
The BCCDC is a program of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), which plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: • Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate • Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of August 23, 2019. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a temporary password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your temporary password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.