More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Porter - BC Children's Hospital
BC Children’s Hospital, Vancouver BC
$23.40 per hour
Casual Opportunity Available! We are seeking a casual Porter who will have the flexibility to pickup shifts over the summer months - as well as into September 2021 onwards.
What you’ll do
- Transport patients to and from required areas as assigned by the daily porter work schedule.
- Moves patient from various locations by walking, wheeling or utilizing mechanical aides such as specialty beds, mobilizers, wheelchairs and stretchers to ensure prompt arrival at specified location. Provide support to clients by methods such as supplying blankets when requested and notifying nursing and/or technical staff of any problems and/or client concerns.
- Assist the patient care team with mobilization of clients by lifting and transferring clients on and off stretchers and wheelchairs, following prescribed safe techniques and lifting practices such as utilizing mechanical lifts and/or slide boards as directed.
- Transport deceased by obtaining morgue stretcher, proceeding to the ward/area as notified, assisting nursing staff with transferring deceased on to the stretcher as directed, moving deceased to the morgue, transferring deceased onto empty rack in cooler utilizing versa lifts, and logging information such as time of arrival, client's name, ward, and body tag number for records.
- Transport items such as equipment, blood products, specimens and charts as per established policies and procedures. Organize and group tasks to ensure delivery times are met.
- Retrieve, deliver and clean equipment designated for storage in the Medical Equipment Depot in accordance with established policies and procedures. Check condition of equipment when performing cleaning duties and reports any maintenance or repair requirements to appropriate maintenance personnel.
- Perform other related duties as required.
What you bring
- Completion of Grade 12
- One (1) year’s recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
You will have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
- Organize work and operate related equipment.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Casual Opportunity (FTE 0.01)
$23.40 per hour
4500 Oak St, Vancouver, BC V6H 3N1
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
8 hour shifts. Days vary as per rotation
What we do
BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) bcchildrens.ca provides care for the most seriously ill or injured children from across British Columbia.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.