More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Porter Mail Clerk, BCCA
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Porter/Mail Clerk, with work direction from nursing care personnel, transports patients between hospital units and other treatment and diagnostic areas within the PHSA hospitals and host hospitals. Assists in lifting and transferring patients to and from stretchers and wheelchairs. Transports other materials such as patient care equipment, reports, mail and laboratory specimens as requested. Cleans and maintains the transporting equipment. Performs mailroom related duties as time permits.
What you'll do
- Transports patients between hospital units and other treatment and diagnostic areas within the hospital and host hospital, if appropriate.
- Assists other professional p patient care staff in the lifting and transferring of patients from stretchers and wheelchairs.
- Changes linen on stretchers as required.
- Reports to Supervisor any difficulties or problems relating to patient transfer.
- Reports to nursing staff any observed changes in the patient’s condition.
- Transports other material such as patient care equipment, reports, mail and laboratory specimens as required.
- Cleans wheeled equipment and reports maintenance or repair requirements to the Supervisor.
- Helps Supervisor maintain an inventory of transporting equipment such as wheelchairs and stretchers.
- Answers telephone, takes messages and responds to requests for service during the Supervisor’s rest breaks.
- Sorts internal and outgoing mail; operates postal machine and folder/inserter as time permits.
- Starts the computer automated printing process for Canada Post and Meditran hard copy mail on the external document distribution system, as scheduled and according to established procedures, reporting problems to Supervisor.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
What you bring
- Completion of Grade 10 plus graduation from a recognized Nursing Assistant Program or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Casual, Part-Time (Casual is defined as on call with no guaranteed hours. Shifts can be called out via short call (1-5 hours of notice) or pre-booked).
Location: 600 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver, V5Z 4E6
Hours of Work: 07:30-15:30 / 08:00-16:00 / 8:30-16:30 / 11:00-19:00 (Monday to Friday)
Requisition # 132058E
What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.