More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Postdoctoral Fellowship, User Interface/User Experience (UI/UX) - BC Children's Hospital
Open until filled
The BC Children’s Hospital Research Institute (BCCHR) is seeking a full-time postdoctoral fellow, for an appointment of 2 years, to take a significant role within a new TRUSTSPHERE project.
The TRUSTSPHERE project at BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH), will develop and validate an integrated digital trust platform that will simplify research participation and data collection in a way that will transform patient care and health research. This digital trust platform will contribute a multi-disciplinary framework to help better understand Type 1 diabetes and patient care, while also providing health researchers a digital toolset with comprehensive data integration, where patient and families have the agency to donate data and participate in research.
We are looking for a highly motivated, self-driven, and engaged candidate with experience and interest in user interface and user experience development, incl. wireframe design, presenting page information (structure and layout), design of the overall direction of the user interface, and evaluation of use, usability and usefulness of features, functions and prototypes through extensive surveying and rigorous analysis (applying methods from both usability engineering and health informatics fields) in a digital health clinical setting.
The position is available to a PhD trained individual with a desire to embrace the complexity of digital health research and to build technology-based solutions to improve the safety and quality of patients’ care. The successful candidate will need to demonstrate technical expertise, be able to collaborate with clinicians, patients, academic researchers, and industry partners, and have a keen interest in exploring advanced design, implementation, and evaluation skills.
TRUSTSPHERE is a collaboration between the University of British Columbia Departments of Pediatrics; Anesthesiology, Pharmacology & Therapeutics and Electrical and Medical Genetics. The Principal Investigator is Dr Shazhan Amed, who is based on the BC Children’s Hospital campus. The Fellow will receive supervision and guidance from lead supervisor Dr. Shazhan Amed, and co-supervision from Drs. Elizabeth Borycki and Andre Kushniruk (from the School of Health Information Science at the University of Victoria). The Fellow will gain considerable experience in developing user-centered design methods, usability engineering, user needs analysis, requirements specification and design and evaluation of key user interface components. The Fellow will work collaboratively with software developers, researchers and end users participating in the project and will gain management skills. The Fellow will also be encouraged to publish the work widely in informatics journals and conferences. The technology and techniques learned will be state of the art and transferrable to other domains and projects upon completion of the Fellowship.
Primary activities will include
- Collecting, researching, investigating and evaluating user requirements for software design and applications in collaboration with the technical team and software developers
- Writing the user requirements for software design and applications
- Working with stakeholders (including patients and their families) to deliver the best possible user experience for diabetes specific user interfaces and dashboards related to the TRUSTSPHERE project
- Designing graphic UI elements and widgets to improve the user experience
- Creating use cases and flow diagrams, and define information hierarchies
- Creating prototypes and wireframes
- Evaluating of the use and usability of the applications developed
- Publishing findings on UI/UX framework development for research data integration
In addition, the Postdoctoral Fellow will be involved in
- Collaborating with Careteam Technologies’ development team and their UI/UX design leader and Chief Medical Officer.
- Participating in meetings, scrums and brainstorming sessions, receive feedback on the work provided and participate in product roadmap activities.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate evidence of:
- Strong UI/UX and analysis skills, including page design, information architecture and visual design (incl. demonstrated use of tools e.g. Sketch, Invision, Adobe XD, Figma, UXpin etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to overcome real-world problems, such as bridging design to implementation; prior experience with healthcare data and work in healthcare environments (or on healthcare related projects) would be desirable.
- A doctorate degree in a relevant discipline, e.g. Health Informatics, Human Factors, Computer Science
- Knowledge about iterative design and usability testing
- A strong publication record and excellent technical communication and interpersonal skills; knowledge of research processes, including the conduct of proof of concept studies; detail-oriented as well as high-level conceptual, analytical, and critical appraisal skills.
- Able to work independently, and solve technical and methodological problems that arise during the course of the research; be comfortable with change, and be adaptable as the project evolves; able to thrive in a collaborative team environment and work effectively with research personnel, clinicians, patients, industry partners.
- Personal motivation and self-management; able to take responsibility for meeting deadlines within timelines that are partially dictated by industry partners and clinicians; must exhibit a high level of professionalism, judgement, ethical conduct, discretion and diplomacy.
Apply by email to Tibor van Rooij (Tibor.vanRooij@bcchr.ca), sending a curriculum vitae with all relevant employment and academic experience; 1-2 writing samples (publications) or a thesis chapter; names of three references; and a cover letter, noting research experience and interest in the position. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
All positions in the Department of Pediatrics at BC Children's Hospital require a Criminal Record Check (CRC). A pre-employment CRC is required as part of the recruitment process and any offer of employment is contingent pending positive results of the CRC.
Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the BC Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
This fellowship is supported by MITACS and Careteam Technologies, and the selected candidate will receive CAD $50,000.00/year plus benefits.