Program Assistant, BC Transplant
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
Are you a highly organized person with strong administrative skills?
The Program Assistant acts as the front line representative for BC Transplant (BCT) and is responsible for the efficient day-to-day operation of the reception area.
What you’ll do
- Establish and project a positive corporate image for BCT by receiving and answering inquiries, clarifying requests, forwarding requests for information to appropriate staff and providing information as appropriate about BCT and BCT’s Organ Donor Registry in consultation with the communications department.
- Receive calls regarding organ donor referrals from centers throughout the province, as well as other transplant programs across North America. Participate in triaging donor referral calls to appropriate Organ Donation Specialists, physicians, surgeons, and clinical coordinators if required, ensuring details are provided in a timely manner.
- Request, prepare, maintain and distribute transplant physician on-call schedules as well as prepare vital daily hot sheets for distribution to the 24/7 on-call staff. Involves maintaining the email and fax lists for distribution of these schedules. Preparation of these schedules requires accuracy and attention to detail as they impact patient care and must be sent out in a timely manner.
- Ensure the switchboard is turned over to the answering service each evening, provide the answering service with the daily “On-Call” schedule, pick up messages and distribute accordingly. Follow-up with answering service on any issues. Train other staff to provide back-up or emergency relief on the switchboard.
- Perform a variety of clerical duties such as receiving visitors and informing staff, sending, opening and distributing mail; faxing and photocopying materials; perform equipment maintenance procedures; receiving and arranging courier services, including mail outs to patients and stakeholders and distribution of blood boxes to donor hospitals.
- Maintain BC Transplant staff and Regional Transplant Centre directory and distribute on a quarterly basis or as needed.
- Verify the accuracy of invoices, validating information prior to processing for payment and maintain a log of said invoices once processed.
- Prepare biweekly payroll for processing, data entry and verification of time sheets and other payroll information, making necessary adjustments as required.
- Maintain stationery supplies according to pre-determined levels by identifying depleting items, completing internal requisitions to order replacements and verifying receipt of items.
- Arrange meetings by performing duties such as selecting appropriate dates, altering schedules when necessary, notifying participants, and booking rooms, equipment, and catering as required. Provide support by circulating agendas, compiling background information and supporting materials, attending meetings to record proceedings, preparing minutes and reports and taking follow up action as required.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
What you bring
- A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to graduation from grade 12 combined with three (3) years of progressively responsible experience as a receptionist in a corporate environment.
- Demonstrated experience in word processing and spreadsheet software, such as MSWord and Excel, experience in a health care environment interacting with patients who are in acute stages of their disease is desirable, general knowledge of office equipment.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and the ability to interact at all levels of staff, internally and externally; ability to deal with emotional and stressful situations
- Demonstrated ability to be professional, tactful, discrete, and able to handle issues with confidentiality
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and deal with patients and donor family’s in a sensitive and caring manner
- Good organization skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job type: Regular Full-Time
Hours of work: 0800-1600
Reference number: #118943
What we do
BC Transplant (BCT) provides oversight for all aspects of organ donation and transplantation across BC. BCT is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
(PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.