More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Program Assistant BC Women’s Hospital and Health Centre (BCW’s)
BC Women’s Hospital and Health Centre
Are you an organized person with strong administration and secretarial skills? Effectively handle accurate and timely delivery of administrative services so our department runs smoothly.
What you’ll do
- Maintain the Program Manager’s appointment schedules and time commitments through methods such as receiving appointment requests and meeting/conference invitations, determining urgency and nature of requests and scheduling and making necessary arrangements. Resolve time conflicts as required.
- Respond to verbal and written communication directed to the Program Manager’s offices. Responsibilities include screening requests and inquiries, making a determination on the importance/urgency of the request, providing a response and/or forwarding to the Program Managers as appropriate or other senior staff for reply. Liaise with external organizations on behalf of the Program Manager to respond to and/or share information and ensure follow-up by relevant personnel on emergent issues.
- Produce a variety of documents including correspondence, memos, minutes and meeting agendas from handwritten copy and/or dictaphone using various word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software packages, including creation of files, tables and spreadsheets. Photocopy, collate, and distribute documentation such as correspondence and reports.
- Create, maintain, and/or makes necessary changes to hospital forms. Act as a liaison in streamlining communications and implementation of revised hospital forms as required.
- Screen incoming materials, prioritizes items for immediate attention and distributes as appropriate. Respond to routine written inquiries and materials by composing and signing correspondence or drafting for signature. Process incoming and outgoing paper, electronic and voice mail.
- Participate in a variety of meetings through methods such as drafting agendas, gathering background materials including reports and handouts, attending and recording proceedings, preparing and distributing minutes and taking follow-up action such as drafting correspondence for the Program Manager’s signature, ascertaining status of item/issue and investigating designated items.
- Design and maintain filing and distribution systems for a variety of records and files such as correspondence and reports by methods such as indexing binders, creating and labeling files and filing information. Maintain a bring-forward system.
- Make arrangements for travel and accommodation for the Program Manager(s) for attendance at industry meetings and conferences by performing duties such as contacting travel agencies, confirming reservations and establishing an itinerary.
- Assist in budget development and monitors expenditures. Authorize expense reimbursements and invoices up to a pre-determined limit.
- Prepare and submit employee time records to Payroll for Program Manager(s). Investigate and respond to timekeeping inquiries and corrects discrepancies.
- Participate in a variety of projects. Responsibilities include researching information, compiling patient survey results, tracking statistical data, compiling and analyzing data involving new projects, the interpretation and application of policies and procedures, and organizing staff retirement parties.
- Responsible for processing IMIT requests such as eform submissions for computer accounts, requests for consultations, equipment, and repairs as necessary. Act as central point of communication with IMIT.
- Coordinate staff training on new/changed equipment/technology/software. Troubleshoots equipment malfunctions.
- Maintain an inventory of supplies and materials for area by performing duties such as reviewing stock on hand, completing purchase requisitions for approval, forwarding to Purchasing for processing and receiving supplies. Ensure invoices are authorized for payment and submitted for payment.
- Provide a central point for processing maintenance requests and follow up on departmental repairs and related functions. Coordinate housekeeping requests and complaints by maintaining a program log, and acts as central point of contact and follow up for housekeeping issues.
- Maintain and coordinate duties related to off site storage, organizes pick up and delivery requests, filing systems, and inventory.
- Manage and monitor key control, processes requests, inventory and returns. Maintain and monitor logs for long distance charges. Provides screening as appropriate.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
What you bring
- A level of education, training and experience equivalent to Grade 12 plus graduation from a formal secretarial program plus three (3) years recent related experience, including at least one (1) year of experience at a senior level.
- Ability to work independently and resolve administrative issues/problems.
- Demonstrated ability to use related equipment including word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software at an advanced level.
- Demonstrated flexibility to meet and adapt to changes in organizational priorities.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload and work under time pressures to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing including the ability to respond politely and diplomatically to both internal and external inquiries.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to provide effective administrative support. Demonstrated ability to provide guidance and direction to others.
- Demonstrated ability to demonstrate tact and discretion in preparing, disclosing and handling information of a confidential and/or sensitive nature.
- Demonstrated time management skills to assist others in meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to record and transcribe minutes of meetings.
- Ability to type 60 words per minute.
- Demonstrated physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job type Regular Full-time
Hours of work 0800 - 1600
Reference number 115999
Please note that being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 beginning on October 26, 2021 will now be a condition of employment with PHSA.
What we do
BC Women's Hospital + Health Centre (BCW) bcwomens.ca is dedicated to improving the health of women, newborns and families through a comprehensive range of services, research and education (BCW) is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
(PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.