More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Public Health Clinic Nurse, TB Clinic (Vancouver & New Westminster) - BC Centre for Disease Control
Clinic Nurse, TB Clinic (Vancouver & New Westminster)
Clinical Prevention Services, BC Centre for Disease Control
This Clinic Nurse will be based in our Vancouver Clinic and provide support to our New Westminister clinic
What you’ll do
- Provide nursing care, education and counselling using a health promotion, harm reduction and trauma informed approach.
- Provide nursing services related to the assessment of clients presenting with or at risk for TB by methods such as interviewing clients and taking history, gathering data appropriate to clinical assessment and diagnosis, involving client in a risk assessment for TB, determining appropriate timing of tests to produce valid test results, and assessing client’s anxiety related to their risks and their ability to deal with positive test results.
- Perform nursing procedures to assist physician in diagnosis including tuberculin skin testing and reading, obtaining specimens and preparing requisitions for laboratory testing such as sputum, serology, urine, cytology and visual acuity; assisting physician with physical examination and dressing change; examines clients for signs and symptoms of infection, lymph node and skin exam and chest auscultation; use aseptic technique and accepted safety measures to collect specimens required for diagnostic confirmation which may include venipuncture.
- Administer appropriate treatment according to appropriate clinical guidelines and Decision Support Tools by methods such as assessing the information gathered to determine action required regarding treatment and client follow-up, interpreting test results to clients. Arrange for referral of clients to private physicians, clinics, support services or specialists as necessary which may require clinic physician consultation, assisting clients to locate community resources appropriate to their needs, and ensuring client is aware of and understands any need for follow-up.
- Provide education and counseling using a health promotion approach to clients and their families regarding topics such as risk behaviours with a goal of reducing risk behaviours, the transmission and treatment of tuberculosis both at home and/or admission to hospital.
What you bring
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM).
- Graduation from a certified School of Nursing program.
- One (1) year of recent related experience in Public Health, Communicable Disease or Tuberculosis.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license to operate a vehicle within the Province of British Columbia. Ability to access fleet vehicles or access to a vehicle for local area travel to Chilliwack, and Abbotsford.
You will have:
- Broad knowledge in the field of tuberculosis or respiratory diseases or out-patient clinic setting.
- Good working knowledge of infection control concepts to prevent risk to self and others of exposure to infection.
- Expert communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage difficult clients who may be upset, angry, uncooperative, intoxicated, or mentally or physically impaired.
- Sensitivity to the implications and potential stigma of a TB diagnosis to clients with a variety of ethnic origins and beliefs.
- Ability to work with an interpreter.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Temporary, Full-Time (until March 31, 2022)
Wage: $36.23 to $47.58 per hour
655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Requisition Number: 106746
What we do
BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) bccdc.ca is dedicated to preventing and controlling communicable disease and promoting environmental health for the province.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of April 16, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.