More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Public Health Technologist, Bacteriology and Mycology - BC Centre for Disease Control
Public Health Technologist, Bacteriology and Mycology
BC Centre for Disease Control, Vancouver BC, $30.90 to $38.63 per hour
The Technologist performs technical procedures involved in the Bacteriology and Mycology Laboratory. The Technologist isolates, identifies and subtypes bacteria and yeast from specimens using biochemical, serological and commercial molecular methods (which provide automated interpretation). Performs antimicrobial susceptibility testing, evaluates and verifies results, and prepares related reports.
What you’ll do
- Participate in day-to-day work activities in Bacteriology by testing clinical and other specimens using various microscopy methods, bacterial and tissue culture methods by evaluating and verifying results according to established procedures.
- Identify cell types, bacteria and yeast, using the Gram stain, fluorescent microscopy and commercial molecular techniques (which provide automated interpretation) and report results using the results to interpret specimen quality and various pathological processes.
- Perform bacterial culture, judge bacterial growth both qualitatively and quantitatively, and, using a variety of techniques to determine the significance of the culture results.
- Perform susceptibility testing by utilizing automated and manual procedures and use available resources to accept results or perform additional testing if necessary; recognize when to report or suppress susceptibility testing results.
- Prepare stock solutions and reagents following standard operating procedures.
What you bring
- A diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology OR Bachelor of Science in Microbiology or related biological science relevant to the assigned section.
- Certification with the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
- One (1) year of recent related experience including experience in a research-based laboratory or an equivalent combination of education, training and recent related experience.
You also have demonstrated:
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Skills in attention to detail and organization.
- Ability to be self-motivated, manage time, and work independently.
- Ability to operate equipment and related software.
- Familiarity with computer software.
- Physical ability to perform the job.
- Experience in various molecular methods.
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance principles.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’Yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and spiritual and psychological health & safety programs.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Flexible work options including flextime, work locations and job sharing (eligibility will vary)
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Wage: $30.90 to $38.63 per hour
655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver BC, V5Z 4R4
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Rotating Schedule; 0700-1515, 0815-1630, 0915-1730
Requisition Number: 113283
What we do
BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) bccdc.ca is dedicated to preventing and controlling communicable disease and promoting environmental health for the province.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of September 2, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.