More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Public Health Technologist Bacteriology and Mycology - BC Centre for Disease Control
Public Health Technologist Bacteriology and Mycology
BC Centre for Disease Control, $30.30 to $37.78 per hour
What you’ll do
- Participate in day-to-day work activities in the Bacteriology by testing clinical and other specimens using various microscopy methods, bacterial culture, tissue culture and nucleic acid techniques, and evaluating and verifying results according to established procedures.
- Identify cell types, bacteria and yeast, using the Gram stain, fluorescent microscopy and molecular techniques and reports results using the results to interpret specimen quality and various pathological processes.
- Subtype bacteria by serotyping and using techniques such as PCR, PFGE and other methods.
- Perform bacterial culture, judge bacterial growth both qualitatively and quantitatively, and, using a variety of techniques, determines the significance of the culture results.
- Perform susceptibility testing by utilizing automated and manual procedures and uses available resources to accept results or perform additional testing if necessary; recognises when to report or suppress susceptibility testing results.
What you bring
- Certification with the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
- One (1) year of recent, related experience including experience in a clinical and research based laboratory or an equivalent combination of education, training and recent related experience.
You will have:
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to be self-motivated, manage time, and work independently.
- Ability operate equipment and related software.
- Demonstrated experience in various molecular methods.
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance principles.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Temporary, Full-Time (06/30/2021)
Wage: $30.30 to $37.78 per hour
655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Monday to Friday, Rotating Saturday/Sunday shifts as required: 0815-1630, 0915-1730 and as required for COVID may include night shift
Requisition Number: 103747
What we do
BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) bccdc.ca is dedicated to preventing and controlling communicable disease and promoting environmental health for the province.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of February 18, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.