More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Public Health Technologist – COVID 19 Response - Lower Mainland Labs (LM Labs - Vancouver
Public Health Technologist – COVID 19 Response
Lower Mainland Labs (LM Labs), $32.07 to $40.10 per hour
Interested to support with the COVID-19 response by being an elemental team member of the public health laboratory? Join Lower Mainland Laboratories (LM Labs) as a Public Health Technologist, where you will handle and test COVID-19 samples. The technologist will be performing COVID-19 molecular testing, requiring unique skills that focuses on understanding the performance of RT-PCR assays.
Join this essential coordinated health care function to play a role in gathering critical diagnostic information!
What you’ll do
- Participate in day-to-day bench work activities by testing clinical and other specimens using nucleic acid technique, and evaluating and verifying results according to established procedures.
- Prepare stock solutions and reagents following standard operating procedures.
- Perform semi-automated and/or or automated nucleic acid extraction and detection by real time PCR.
- Respond to requests and inquiries for all referred in tests. Seek direction as required from the Technical Coordinator(s), Team Lead, Site Supervisor Laboratory Operations Manager, or Program Head/Medical Director as appropriate on customer service issues.
- Perform all related functions required for the production of final reports such as preparing, testing and assessing quality control results prior to release of clinical results through the laboratory information system (LIS), troubleshoot specimen adequacy and prepare dilutions as required according to established procedures.
What you bring
- Bachelor of Science in Microbiology or related biological science relevant to the assigned section, OR Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology and certification with the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS)
- One (1) year of recent, related experience including experience in a research based laboratory or an equivalent combination of education, training and recent related experience.
You have the ability to:
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing in a team environment.
- Demonstrate attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Be self-motivated, manage time, and work independently.
- Operate related equipment and use related software.
- Perform the physical duties of the job.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, suh as our San’Yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and spiritual and psychological health & safety programs.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Flexible work options including flextime, work locations and job sharing (eligibility will vary)
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Temporary, Full-Time (Until March 31, 2021)
$32.07 - $40.10 per hour
655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver, V5Z 4R4
Rotating Schedule; 0700-1500/1500-2300/2300-0700
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Requisition number: 114024
What we do
Lower Mainland Laboratories (LM Labs) lmlabs.phsa.ca, a service of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), provides laboratory testing at 31 sites across the lower mainland and central coast of B.C., including acute care hospital laboratories and specialty laboratories.
PHSA plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of September 16, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day