More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Recreation Assistant, Recreation Therapy - SunnyHill Health Centre
Recreation Assistant, Recreation Therapy
SunnyHill Health Centre
Full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA effective October 26, 2021.
The Recreation Assistant works in a team-based environment to carry out recreation programs in consultation with the Therapist team.
What you’ll do
- Carry out individual or group activity programs such as arts and crafts, cooking, music, sports, games, gardening, socio-cultural events, both inside and outside the facility in consultation with the Recreation Therapist, by methods such as organizing necessary supplies and equipment, setting up the environment where the activity is to be held, portering patients to and from the program, conducting the program, putting supplies and equipment away after the program.
- Carry out activity programs by methods such as overseeing/accompanying the patients, demonstrating/teaching the techniques of recreation activities, encouraging participation by all patients, providing personal care support to patients, such as feeding and assisting with toileting needs, during outings if required.
- Monitor and evaluate patient’s progress through activity programs and reports relevant observations such as emotional well-being and social behaviors by methods such as communicating concerns and/or changes of patient’s condition to the Recreation, Aquatic, and Music Therapist(s), and other health care professionals, as appropriate; provides suggestions for change or modifications to existing programs.
- Set up and organize furnishings and equipment for activity programs by methods such as arranging rooms, providing direction to volunteers, and obtaining appropriate equipment for the activity.
- Make appropriate adaptations to recreation activities and equipment as recommended by Recreation, Aquatic, and Music Therapist(s), and other health care professionals, to enable patients to achieve and maintain maximum potential for independence.
- Maintain inventory of equipment, designated supplies and tools for recreation activities. Identify missing items and reports malfunctioning equipment and supply needs to designated personnel/department to ensure proper and safe usage of equipment.
What you bring
- Completion of Grade 12.
- Completion of a Recreation Therapy Program.
- Two (2) years' recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Valid class 4 vehicle license (unrestricted) as required per vehicle(s).
You also have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
- Organize work.
- Operate related equipment.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Temporary Full-Time (until August 30, 2022)
Wage: $27.02 per hour
Location: 4500 Oak Street, Vancouver BC, V6H 2N9
Hours of Work: Monday-Friday; 08:30-16:00
Requisition # 115787
What we do
Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children (SHHC) provides specialized development and rehabilitation services to BC children, youth and their families. SHHC is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and SHHC are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of October 20, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.