More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Registered Nurse, Anesthetic Care Unit - BC Children's Hospital
Registered Nurse, Anesthetic Care Unit
BC Children’s Hospital, Vancouver BC, $35.53 to $46.65 per hour
The Registered Nurse, Post Anaesthetic Care Unit (PACU) provides and coordinates nursing care services such as patient assessment, patient and family teaching, and health promotion activities for pediatric patients and their families, consistent with established policies, standards and philosophy at British Columbia’s Children’s Hospital.
What you’ll do
- Maintain patient records by collecting and documenting information including health care information regarding patients and their families, nursing observations, telephone communications, interventions, teaching, and care evaluations to ensure that patient records are current and complete.
- Plan direct care for the pediatric patients by performing activities such as reviewing patient/ family history, developing a care plan specific for the patient and family, and meeting with other members of the health care team to discuss and review the care plan.
- Provide direct patient care and collaborates with other members of the health care team to evaluate family centered patient care in the particular setting.
- Teach patients, family members, or other care-givers by providing and explaining information, demonstrating procedures and use of equipment, checking the learner’s use of procedures, techniques and equipment, and evaluating the overall effectiveness of the selected teaching methods.
- Identify own learning needs, reviews these with the Program Manager or delegate, and engages in a variety of activities to meet these needs.
What you bring:
- Graduated from an approved School of Nursing
- Current practicing registration as an RN with the British Columbia College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM)
- CPR Training – Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) – Level 1
- One (1) year of recent pediatric PACU experience in a tertiary level setting or
- One (1) year of recent pediatric critical care experience in a tertiary level setting or
- A combination of Pediatric Critical Care Courses, Post Anesthetic nursing courses, PerioAnesthesia Nursing Course or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Certification
You have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Relate effectively to children and their families.
- Participate as a member of a multidisciplinary care team, and function as a nursing resource.
- Physically perform the duties of the job.
- Operate related equipment.
Regular Part-Time (0.80 FTE)
Wage: $35.53 to $46.65 per hour
4500 Oak Street, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Rotation: M-F: start 0700, 0800, 0830, 0900, 0930, 1000, 1100, 1200, 1500,+call; Sat-Sun: 0730, 1515,+call
Requisition Number: 102808
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
What we do
BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) bcchildrens.ca provides care for the most seriously ill or injured children from across British Columbia.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of January 15, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.