More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Registered Nurse, Mother & Baby Combined Care - Fir Square, BC Women's Hospital & Health Centre
Registered Nurse, Mother & Baby Combined Care
Fir Square, BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre
Provide nursing care to patients admitted to Fir Square. Types of patients cared for on this unit include ante/postpartum women with issues of drug/alcohol use, poverty/self-esteem and/or mental health problems, newborns who have been exposed to drug/alcohol use in utero, newborns who require additional observation and newborns who are awaiting placement.
What you’ll do
- Using the nursing process and BCCNP standards of nursing practice, provide care services such as maternal, fetal/newborn/infant assessment and administration of ordered drugs and therapy. Create a therapeutic environment by providing teaching and counseling.
- Conduct initial and ongoing comprehensive nursing assessments of assigned patients, including ante partum and postpartum women and newborns.
- Closely monitor and document physical/emotional condition of the mother/fetus throughout all stages of detoxification and stabilization.
- Monitor infants for signs of withdrawal and/or other deviations from the expected norm.
- Provide care and support to:
- Chemically dependent women.
- Mother/infant dyads during the early postpartum period, caring for the infant at the bedside (whenever possible), aiding the mother in watching for signs and symptoms of withdrawal.
- Substance exposed babies in the nursery.
- Babies requiring additional observation for reasons of medical instability.
- Babies awaiting placement.
What you bring
- Graduation from an approved School of Nursing.
- Current practicing registration as an RN with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Two (2) years’ recent, related perinatal and nursery nursing experience which includes one (1) year of recent experience dealing with patients with addictions; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Current CPR/Newborn Resuscitation Certification.
- Breastfeeding update, minimum 6 hours, in the last two years.
- Fetal Health Assessment Certificate.
- Ability and knowledge of woman centered care and its application.
- Ability and willingness to assess women in a thorough, concerned and non-judgmental manner.
- Ability and willingness to continue to provide empathetic and non-judgmental support, reassurance and counseling to all women on every admission (regardless of number and frequency) and at all stages of admission.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm, commitment and ability to provide nursing care that acknowledges cultural diversity in health practices and an individual’s right to make choices.
You have the ability to:
- Use maternal/fetal/newborn nursing theory and expertise.
- Work with newborn infants in withdrawal.
- Work with women in crisis and with addictions.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Work independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Operate related equipment.
- Organize work.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Physically perform the duties of the position.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Flexible work options including flextime, work locations and job sharing (eligibility will vary)
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Regular Part-Time (0.50 FTE)
Wage: $34.83-$45.73 per hour
Location: 4500 Oak St, Vancouver BC
Applications will be accepted until position is filled
Hours of Work: 0700-1910/1900-0710 shifts can occur any day of the week
Requisition # 91207
What we do
BC Women's Hospital + Health Centre (BCW) bcwomens.ca, part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), is dedicated to improving the health of women, newborns and families through a comprehensive range of services, research and education.
PHSA plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of January 17, 2020. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.