More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Registered Nurse/New Grad, Emergency Department - BC Children's Hospital
Registered Nurse, Emergency Department
BC Children’s Hospital
BC Children's Hospital's Ledcor Children’s Emergency is equipped with 33 single patient treatment rooms to give families privacy during stressful times, as well as two critical care rooms that provide the ample space for trauma teams to respond immediately. Kids who require longer stays can be transferred to the Clinical Decision Unit, a space where they can remain for up to 24 hours without having to be admitted and our five mental health rooms provide a calming, therapeutic and low-stimulus space, removed from the fast pace of the main Emergency Department.
At BC Children's Hospital Emergency Department, we offer
- A comprehensive orientation program
- Opportunity to work collaboratively with an interdisciplinary team of physicians, nurse practitioners, mental health professionals and fellow emergency nurses
- Opportunity for professional development with specialized training
What you’ll do
- Perform primary and secondary nursing assessments, emergency nursing care for resuscitation and stabilization of pediatric patients with emergent health care problems, including pediatric trauma nursing care.
- Utilize the nursing process in accordance with philosophy of Family-Centered Care, which includes assessment, nursing diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation or real and potential health problems of pediatric and adolescent patients.
- Perform triage and prioritization of pediatric patients presenting to Emergency Department utilizing advanced pediatric assessment skills according to Canadian Pediatric Triage Assessment Scale (PCTAS).
- Maintain accurate, thorough and timely documentation in patient record of pertinent health information, nursing assessments, interventions, evaluations and communication.
- Provide patient and family education, discharge teaching and health promotion activities. Facilitate appropriate follow-up care in broader health community.
- Provide nursing care to unique patient populations in crisis presenting to Emergency Department including pediatric patients with: physical and sexual abuse, psychiatric problems, toxic ingestions, drug and alcohol intoxication. Maintain respectful patient and family confidentiality; follows policies and procedures according to legal requirements.
What you bring
- Graduation from an approved Nursing Program with current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nurses & Midwives (BCCNM).
- Minimum of one (1) year’s recent, related clinical experience in pediatrics or an Emergency Department setting.
- Emergency Nursing Pediatric course (ENPC)/Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)/Trauma Nursing Core Course preferred (TNCC)
You will have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Relate effectively to children and their families.
- Participate as a member of a multidisciplinary care team, and function as a nursing resource.
- Physically perform the duties of the job.
- Operate related equipment.
- Basic computer skills.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Temporary, Full-Time (until May 25, 2022)
Wage: $36.23 to $47.58 per hour
4500 Oak Street, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Master Rotating Schedule – Line 16; 0700-1906; 1900-0706
Requisition Number: 109326
What we do
BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) bcchildrens.ca provides care for the most seriously ill or injured children from across British Columbia.
BCCH is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCCH are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.