More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Registered Nurse, Operating Room - BC Children's Hospital
Registered Nurse, Operating Room
BC Women’s Hospital + Health Centre
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
The Registered Nurse provides family centered perioperative nursing care in alignment with the standards established by the Operating Room Nurses Association of Canada (ORNAC), and PHSA values. Help make an impact by joining the Operating Room team as a Registered Nurse.
What you’ll do
- Plan direct care for the patient by performing activities such as reviewing patient/family history, developing a care plan specific for the patient and family and meeting with other members of the health care team to discuss and review the care plan.
- Provide direct patient care in accordance with the standards established by the Operating Room Nurses Association of Canada (ORNAC) and collaborate with other members of the interprofessional healthcare team to provide family-centered care in the particular setting.
- Maintain patient records by performing activities such as collecting and documenting information including health care information regarding patients and their families, nursing observations, telephone communications, interventions, teaching and care evaluations to ensure that patient records are current and complete.
- Participate in the orientation and continuing education of all new learners on the interprofessional care team, in accordance with ORNAC standards, by role modeling, precepting, and mentoring, under the direction of the unit educators.
- Participate as a member of the healthcare team through contributing participating in rounds, committees and professional practice groups.
- Provide input regarding policies, procedures and operational requirements which address patient and family needs and promote effective use of resources, while maintaining ORNAC standards.
What you bring
- Graduation from an approved School of Nursing with current practicing registration as an RN with the British Columbia College of Nurses & Midwives (BCCNM)
- Successful completion of a post-graduate program in Operating Room Nursing or an equivalent combination of education, training or experience.
- CPR Training – Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) – Level I.
- Current PALS certification
- For Operating Room sub-specialty area such as Cardiac Surgery, at least one (1) year of operating room experience is required
You have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Relate effectively with patient and their families.
- Participate as a member of an interdisciplinary care team
- Physically perform the duties of the job.
- Operate related equipment.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Interested in learning more about this opportunity?
Job Type: Temporary Full-Time (until April 15, 2022)
Wage: $36.23 - $47.58 per hour
Location: 4500 Oak Street, Vancouver BC, V6H 3N1
Hours of Work: Monday-Friday; 0730-1620
Requisition # 116784
What we do
BC Women's Hospital & Health Centre (BCW) is dedicated to improving the health of women, newborns and families through a comprehensive range of services, research and education. BCW is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCW are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of October 31, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.