More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Registered Nurse (RN), Nursing Resource Team (NRT) - BC Children's Hospital
Registered Nurse (RN), Nursing Resource Team (NRT)
BC Children's Hospital
The Registered Nurse provides and coordinates nursing care services such as patient assessment, patient and family teaching, and health promotion activities for patients and their families, consistent with established policies, standards, and philosophy of BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH), BC Waomen’s Hospital & Health Centre (BCW), and Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children (SHHC).
*Learn more about this opportunity and hear from the leadership team at our Recruitment Open House on Tuesday, April 4 from 4:30 PM - 7:00 PM. Please RSVP and register in advance on our Eventbrite page: BC Women’s Hospital + BC Children’s Hospital- Career Information Open house Tickets, Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 4:30 PM | Eventbrite
What you’ll do
- Provide direct patient care by implementing the care plan, and collaborate with other members of the health care team to evaluate family-centered patient care in the particular setting.
- Plan direct care for the patient by performing activities such as reviewing patient/family history, developing a care plan specific for the patient and family, and meeting with other members of the health care team to discuss and review the care plan.
- Maintain patient records by collecting and documenting information including health care information regarding patients and their families, nursing observations, telephone communications, interventions, teaching, and care evaluations to ensure that patient records are current and complete.
- Teach patients, family members, or other care-givers by providing and explaining information, demonstrating procedures and use of equipment, checking the learners’ use of procedures, techniques and equipment, and evaluating the overall effectiveness of the selected teaching methods.
- Participate in the orientation and continuing education of nursing staff and students by preceptoring and mentoring.
- Identify own learning needs, review these with the Manager or designate, and engage in learning activities to meet these needs such as attending in-services.
- Act as a clinical resource/support person to patients and families; and nursing and health care professionals by explaining the theoretical rationale for nursing decisions.
What you bring
- Graduation from an approved School of Nursing with current practicing registration as an RN with the British Columbia College of Nurses &Midwives (BCCNM)
- One (1) year recent related experience in the designated clinical area and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
You also have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Relate effectively to children and their families and others.
- Function as an active member of multidisciplinary care team.
- Demonstrate effective CPR techniques.
- Operate related equipment including applicable computer software.
- Demonstrate your awareness of and commitment to learning and understanding the Truth & Reconciliation Commission’s 94 Calls to Action (2015), In Plain Sight Report (2020), BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019), and other related reports.
- Commit to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- Demonstrate knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Job Type: Regular, Full-Time Opportunity
Wage: $36.23 to $47.58 per hour
Location: 4500 Oak Street, Vancouver BC, V6H 3N1
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Requisition # 141802E Hours of Work: As per master Line #3; 0700-1900/1900-0700
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) provides care for the most seriously ill or injured children and youth from across British Columbia. BC Children’s Hospital is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and the BC Children’s Hospital are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey—one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of February 03, 2023. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.