More than just a job.
Bring your passion for nursing to BC Children's Hospital where it can flourish. We're the centre of pediatrics in BC and are known for our excellence in patient and family centred care. We know nurses are key to our success, and as a pediatric teaching hospital, we are committed to helping you continually grow your practice through on-site professional development and our renowned preceptor program. Join our high-functioning multidisciplinary team, skilled at both the art of caring and the science of healing in our unique workplace.
- Specialty Nursing
- Various shifts available
- Glassdoor Reviews and Company Rating
What does it take to be a successful pediatric nurse at PHSA? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
BCCH is a program of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). PHSA provides specialty health care services to British Columbians. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence. They include: Respect people, Be compassionate, Dare to innovate, Cultivate partnerships, and Serve with purpose.
"I help make your very worst day of your life, bringing your child to the emergency department a little bit lighter. A little bit better. Or at least to help to make you feel just a little bit more comfortable in a really scary situation."~ Michelle, RN, emergency department
"People would be surprised at the patient connection that you do get [in the operating room]. There's a misconception that there's not a lot of involvement with the patient, because they are asleep for most of the procedure, but during the time that you are with them, it's quite a deep connection, and it's very, very rewarding."~ Vanja, clinical nurse educator, operating room
"We have such a great team... in my nursing career I have never been exposed to a team like this where communication, support, resources, and interdisciplinary teamwork is at this level. And it's something that I don't know I would ever be able to leave."~ Jason, RN, pediatric intensive care unit
"Frontline staff is all about making connections with the patients, primarily teenagers and children, also the families, really making deep connections with them over time."~Patrick, RN, child and youth mental health
Spotlight on BC Children's Hospital Emergency Department
Imagine your dream career: BC Children's Hospital — Mental Health
Benefits and Perks
Extended health and dental benefits
Defined benefit pension program
Leaves including maternity, parental and education
Sunny Hill Health Centre, BC Children's Hospital, Vancouver, $34.83 to $45.73 per hour
What you’ll do
- Plan and coordinate with medical staff, allied health team members and community agencies for patient care plans and assessments in the clinic. Support the delivery of care in the clinic by making adjustments in patient assignments/schedules. Utilize and implement appropriate nursing skills/techniques in the care of the ambulatory patient in the assigned clinic/program.
- Coordinate assessment and post assessment referrals, respond to patient, family and health care member’s enquiries, and liaise with other support diagnostic services/ community health services in coordinating patient referrals.
- Collect and document patient health care information including updating charts and obtaining information from community providers regarding current treatment and objectives. Maintain complete and accurate records of nursing observation, interventions, teaching and evaluation of nursing care. Maintain complete and accurate records of telephone communications as well.
- Teach patients, family members, and other caregivers by providing and explaining diagnosis and treatment information, demonstrating procedures and the use of equipment, and evaluating the overall effectiveness of the selected teaching methods.
- Participate in the orientation and continuing education of nursing and other allied healthcare staff and students by preceptoring and mentoring.
What you bring
- Graduation from an approved School of Nursing with current practicing registration as an RN with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Two years recent related experience in the designated clinic setting and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Temporary, Full-Time (until December 2020)
Wage: $34.83 to $45.73 per hour
3644 Slocan Street, Vancouver
Until position is filled
Monday to Friday; 08:30-16:30
Requisition Number: 90215
What we do
Sunny Hill Health Centre (SHHC) bcchildrens.ca/our-services/sunny-hill-health-centre provides specialized development and rehabilitation to B.C. children and youth and their families.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.