More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Registration Booking Clerk, Medical Oncology - BC Cancer - Vancouver
Registration Booking Clerk, Medical Oncology
What you’ll do
- Utilize a computerized scheduling system to schedule and book patient appointments and follow-up appointments which includes booking complex interdisciplinary appointments, adjusting arrangements in accordance with patient and departmental requirements, notifying both patient and clinician, providing information on the appropriate date, time, and location to patient, and placing appointment reminder calls to patients/families.
- Receive and register patients within a computerized scheduling system upon arrival. Ensure patient demographics and appropriate information is complete and accurate and follows up with appropriate parties as necessary. Advise appropriate professional regarding the arrival of the patient.
- Perform referral functions including duties such as gathering additional/missing information, performing data entry, and receiving and processing related paperwork. Schedule new referrals based on established criteria and works with physicians, clinic nurses and allied health professionals to appropriately schedule referrals based on clinical indicators.
- Perform receptionist and other clerical duties including answering telephones, responding to inquiries and requests for information, obtaining patient files as necessary, greeting patients and families, printing daily and/or monthly schedules, and forwarding problems and complex queries to appropriate personnel.
- Assemble and maintain client charts by utilizing appropriate forms and layout in accordance with established procedures and filing documentation. Telephone physicians’ offices or hospitals to request client information/documentation to ensure accuracy of records and charts.
- Maintain a variety of records by performing duties such as data entry, collating information, maintaining log sheets and patient statistics on items such as client/patient attendance, treatment types, client/patient or treatment cancellations, and waitlist information. Follow up with appropriate team members as necessary.
What you bring
- Grade 12 and two (2) year’s recent experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
You will also have
- Ability to keyboard 45 w.p.m.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Job Type: Regular, Full-Time
Location: 600 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver BC, V5Z 4E6
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday; 0800-1600
Requisition # 149913E
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia
BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BC Cancer are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey—one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of September 25, 2023. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.