More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Research Animal Technician 2, Experimental Therapeutics - BC Cancer, Vancouver
RESEARCH ANIMAL TECHNICIAN 2, EXPERIMENTAL THERAPEUTICS
BC Cancer Research Centre
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
You are an animal health professional with experience in laboratory work, surgical procedures, and daily care and monitoring. You’re confident and directive, and enjoy assuming a leadership role within a positive team environment. You possess great curiosity and appreciate opportunities for continued learning – this role comes with training in project management, in vivo pharmacology, and research and ongoing education. Join the BC Cancer’s research centre team, and make a difference in the future of cancer treatment across BC.
What you’ll do
The Research Animal Technician supervises designated staff by scheduling and assigning work, and assists in daily animal care operations by leading various health monitoring and colony management programs, trouble-shooting minor issues and performing other administrative tasks. Ongoing tasks include:
- Perform surgeries and techniques including blood collection, surgical implantations, tumour implantation, injection of solutions, collection of tissues and organs and embryo manipulations, and cryopreservation.
- Perform laboratory techniques such as media preparation, cell culture and hormone preparation, and polymerase chain reaction analysis as required.
- Develop, implement, review and update animal care standard operating procedures.
- Supervise designated staff by scheduling and assigning work, providing orientation and training and monitoring performance; orients and trains staff and animal users on proper animal care theory, protocols, techniques and procedures.
- Maintain daily care of laboratory mice including maintaining adequate food and water levels and observing mice for general health conditions.
What you bring
- Graduation from a recognized program in Animal Health or Veterinary Technology; bachelor’s program in an appropriate discipline (e.g., Animal Science); or an equivalent level of education, training, and experience
- 5+ years of recent related experience in a research laboratory, including 2 years in a supervisory capacity
- Holds current knowledge of animal care regulations and programs including health monitoring and colony management
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Temporary Full-Time (until March 31, 2023)
Location: 675 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver BC, V5Z 1G1
Closing date: March 24, 2022
Hours of Work: Monday-Friday, 0830-1630h
Requisition # 122956E
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia. BC Cancer is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
PHSA plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of March 02, 2022. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.