More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Research Coordinator (VEC) - UBC/ BC Children's Hospital
M&P – AAPS
AAPS Salaried - Research and Facilitation, Level A
Research Coordinator (VEC)
Vaccine Evaluation Centre | Department of Paediatrics | Faculty of Medicine
4,688.67 - $6,754.00 CAD Monthly
Posting End Date
June 29, 2022
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End Date
Jul 31, 2023
This position is located within a health-care facility, therefore, the successful candidate will be required to provide verification of full vaccination against Covid-19 provided prior to the start date, as required by a provincial health mandate.
This offer is conditional upon successful completion of a Criminal Record Check.
The Research Coordinator will coordinate and oversee research activities to support the work of multiple academic and industry-sponsored clinical trials at the Vaccine Evaluation Center (VEC). They will work with other staff and students to ensure efficient and coordinated research activities. Responsibilities include participating in study project planning, strategy, and execution with investigators and VEC managers to achieve the center’s short and long term goals as a center of excellence in vaccine research.
The Research Coordinator reports directly to the senior coordinators and/or Investigator of the relevant study.
The Research Coordinator will coordinate different research projects from project planning, and maintenance to final wrap up.
Project Management & Study Preparation includes:
- Responsible for ensuring studies are reaching goals and maintaining overall management of participant recruitment, study activities, and study progress in accordance with the study objectives and goals as determined by the investigator(s) of the project.
- Manages the submission and maintenance of grant applications, ethics approval, and other appropriate regulatory documentation.
- Maintains data for quality regularly(e.g. monitoring patient charts); organizes data entry; analyzes basic data for study progression/monitoring purposes (e.g. recruitment rates); monitors research ethics procedures.
- Implements cost-effective measures to optimize budget utilization.
- Contributes to the preparation, assembly, presentation and distribution of project reports. Compiles information from the team and creates documents, charts and tables to summarize progress and findings.
- Liaises with different groups to establish a recruitment strategy and other study start-up/ maintenance planning (may include internal and external contributors/organizations).
- Chairs project team meetings.
- Trains research assistants and research nurses in necessary non-clinical techniques. Ensures adherence to standard operating procedures. Identifies problems in the field (Nurses & Research Assistants), and works to solve these problems. Develops and implements new policies and procedures.
- Provides monthly requests of staffing needs to perform necessary tasks of study.
- Performs other responsibilities, as required.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
This position requires a high degree of discretionary judgment, initiative and tact. A high level of reliability, accuracy and maturity are also vital in this position. Errors in judgment can have serious impact on the operation of the VEC. Delays in planning of resources for a study can delay the study start and cause the VEC to lose the ability to participate in studies that are competitive enrollment or studies that are time sensitive. It can also make the VEC look unprofessional with study participants. Interaction with sponsors requires professionalism and appropriate communication skills that if not done well would reflect poorly on the VEC.
Routine work does not require daily supervision but general supervision is provided by senior coordinators and/or Investigator as needed. Receives advice from senior coordinators.
Coordinates the activities of the field staff working on the project (nursing and research assistants).
Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. Minimum of two years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Recent related experience working in the science field and supporting health research in an academic environment would be an asset.
Ability to be thorough, accurate, and have a high level of attention to detail. Ability to compose correspondence and other written materials using clear concise business English. Ability to efficiently and effectively coordinate tasks. Ability to gather, record, and organize information. Ability to respond appropriately to inquiries in person, on phone, and in writing, and make appropriate referrals. Ability to effectively use Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, MS PowerPoint. Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities. Ability to prioritize and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines. Ability to prepare and complete job-related documents using relevant content and appropriate format. Ability to understand and apply policies, procedures and instructions.
Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Ability to develop and deliver effective presentations on the VEC.
- Decision Making:
Ability to make thoughtful, informed, and thorough decisions. Ability to exercise sound judgment.
Ability to deal with a diversity of people in a calm, courteous, and effective manner. Ability to develop and maintain cooperative and productive working relationships within the VEC and all collaborators. Ability to approach interactions with an awareness of sensitive issues. Ability to exercise tact and discretion. Ability to work effectively independently and in a team environment. Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
Ability to develop and implement policies and procedures. Ability to identify, obtain, and effectively manage organizational resources.