More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Respiratory Therapist I, PICU - BC Children's Hospital
Respiratory Therapist I - PICU (Regular Full and Temp time opportunities)
BC Children’s Hospital
Relocation of up to $5000 available!
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) at BC Children’s Hospital is where children who have, or may have, serious health needs are cared for. The PICU is located in the Teck Acute Care Centre in the heart of the BC Children’s Hospital and is the flagship for the transformation of child health in BC. The Centre includes a state-of-the-art facility featuring bright, modern single occupant patient rooms, access to natural light and rooftop gardens that focuses on patient and family centred care. The Hudson Family Pediatric Intensive Care Unit has 28 private patient rooms. These large, spacious rooms provide more space for equipment and large teams of health providers to care for our young patients and their family to be present throughout their care.
What you’ll do
- Review patient’s medical history, conduct assessments of the patient’s pathophysical condition, recommend appropriate care and document patient response and outcomes.
- Set up, check, perform specified quality control procedures and operate respiratory equipment, making adjustments as appropriate.
- Initiate, monitor and assess ventilator dependent patients as per care protocols and daily care.
- Recommend and administer individualized medical gas therapies.
- Provide invasive and non-invasive cardio-pulmonary monitoring.
What you bring
- Graduate of an accredited school of Respiratory Therapy and successful completion of the Canadian Board of Respiratory Care examination.
- Current and continuing registration with British Society of Respiratory Therapists (BCSRT) and the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT).
- Current Basic Life Support certification.
- Current Neonatal Resuscitation Program certification.
You will have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Organize work, set priorities, meet deadlines and function efficiently despite interruptions and workload fluctuations.
- Collaborate effectively with all team members.
- Use critical thinking skills.
- Operate all pertinent respiratory related equipment.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Regular, Full-Timeand Temporary, Full-Time Opportunities
$30.82 to $38.56 per hour
4500 Oak Street, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled
As per Rotation; 0630-1846/1830-0646
Requisition Number: 108442
What we do
BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) bcchildrens.ca provides care for the most seriously ill or injured children from across British Columbia. BCCH is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCCH are committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.