More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Respiratory Therapist II (Bronchoscopy) - Operating Room - BC Cancer Vancouver
Respiratory Therapist II (Bronchoscopy)
As a BCSRT-certified respiratory therapist, your knowledge and critical thinking skills are top notch, yet you work with the knowledge that collaborative, interdisciplinary care yields best patient outcomes. A skillful communicator, you’re equally comfortable with brisk directions shared with colleagues as you are with thoughtful explanations shared with patients; parents and caregivers. You approach each new challenge with insight, openness, and true professionalism.
What you’ll do
- Set up and calibrate necessary devices and equipment for treatments such as endobronchial therapy, electrocautery, YAG laser and photodynamic therapy, or fluorescence bronchoscopy.
- Administer a variety of respiratory therapy treatments by performing duties such as administering nebulizer for local anesthetic, assisting physician by injecting local anesthetic through bronchoscope. Provide patient with inhaler or aerosol gas and administers oxygen therapy as required to enable physician to insert bronchoscope into the lungs.
- Schedule patients for tests by performing duties such as receiving calls from physicians for patients not previously booked and determining available laboratory time to ensure that appointments are booked in conjunction with physician’s schedule.
- Receive and prepare patients from standard set of orders by performing duties such as reviewing patient chart, assessing general condition of patient, explaining test procedure and connecting equipment to patient in preparation for procedure.
- Assess patient’s respiratory and cardiac status by performing duties such as monitoring non-invasive oxygen saturation, blood pressure, electrocardiogram and heart rate during procedure and advising physician of patient’s status to ensure tests are being performed in a safe and effective manner.
What you bring
- Diploma in Respiratory Therapy from an accredited institution.
- Current registration with the British Columbia Society of Respiratory Therapist.
- Current certification in Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation.
- One (1) years recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the Agency.
You will also have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Organize workload on a priority basis.
- Operate related equipment.
- Carry out the physical duties of the job.
- Deal with others effectively.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Temporary, Full-Time (Until July 28, 2021)
Wage: $31.99 to $39.98
Location: 600 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver, V5Z 4E6
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday; 630-1430 M/WF, 0700-1500 T/Th
Requisition # 113948
What we do
BC Cancer (BCC) provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
BCC is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
PHSA plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCC are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.