Secretary, Various Programs
Secretary, Op-Oncology Clinic
BC Cancer Agency
In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA. As such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Secretary provides secretarial and administrative support within a team setting.
What you’ll do
- Receives calls from all sources including patients; refers calls to other parties or provides information as appropriate and:
o Determines urgency of incoming calls and takes appropriate action.
o Relays information to and from clinical staff and outside facilities.
o Obtains reports by contacting appropriate departments or outside sources.
o Coordinates appointments and tests for patients in collaboration with the clinical team.
o Accesses patient information system to retrieve patient data, as appropriate.
o Greets visitors and handles enquiries.
- Arranges meetings/conferences and associated logistics. Acts as a recording secretary by preparing agenda; drafting, typing and distributing minutes. Prepares materials as required.
- Opens, screens, prioritizes and distributes mail. Maintains information and correspondence.
- Formats and edits documents for correspondence. Drafts routine items for signature as required.
- Assists with collecting, collating, formatting and preparing reports as required.
- Assists clinicians in preparation of research documents and grant applications as required by collating information and updating documents.
- Assists with clinician scheduling, timekeeping and collaborating with the clinical team for coverage as needed.
- Maintains a safe environment for patients, families and staff by adhering to safety policies, procedures, guidelines and emergency procedures.
- Participates as a collaborative member of the health care team.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
What you bring
- Grade 12, graduation from a recognized secretarial program, including a recognized course in medical transcription and three years’ recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills & Knowledge
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC's Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- As a strong asset for consideration, we are looking for our successful candidate to have: Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
- Ability to keyboard at 50 wpm.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Job Type: Regular, Full-time
Wage: $29.64 / Hour
Location: 600 W 10th Ave, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4E6
Closing date: Applications accepted until position is filled
Hours of Work: 0800-1600 (Monday to Friday)
Requisition # 155087E
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey—one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of November 10, 2023. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.