More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Senior Practice Leader, Epidemiologist - BC Centre for Disease Control, Vancouver
Senior Practice Leader, Epidemiologist
BC Centre for Disease Control
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What you’ll do
- Provide leadership and strategic guidance on the development, implementation and evaluation of provincial surveillance systems, emerging issues and epidemiologic analyses and manage the processes and resources to achieve deliverables and outcomes
- Coordinate multi-sectoral and cross-sectoral surveillance initiatives and act as a resource and consultant for local, provincial and national planning in the area of public health epidemiology and surveillance. This includes representing the BCCDC and the service line on provincial and federal committees.
- Promote evidenced-based practice and shares knowledge about current research and literature including novel practices in public health surveillance and advanced surveillance and epidemiological methods. Establish opportunities to support staff in implementing evidence based practice. Promote and advance best practice through publications, presentations, and conferences.
- Scan the environment and the literature to identify emerging practice trends and challenges. Develop and implement strategies to integrate novel surveillance and analytic approaches as well as strategies to mitigate challenges affecting surveillance.
- Lead and manage complex and innovative projects and initiatives and engages all disciplines to find solutions. Retain relevant epidemiological, analytic and surveillance expertise.
- Guide the development, implementation and utilization of public health information to inform public health priorities, programs and policies across the province via the use of evaluation methodologies and effective knowledge translation approaches, thereby leading to evidence based policy making.
What you bring
- A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Master’s or PhD Degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, or a related field.
- A minimum of five (5) years of recent, related direct experience working with national/provincial/regional surveillance systems and surveillance data, outbreak investigation, protocol development for applied research, data analysis, and report writing.
You have the
- Experience with oversight of an analytic team that works with epidemiologic or surveillance data. Excellent quantitative analysis skills.
- Qualitative expertise an asset.
- Solid understanding of public health policy and programs.
- Strong facilitation skills.
- Detailed understanding of the Provincial and Federal public health system, and a strong ability to engage and collaborate with a variety of stakeholders while navigating provincial politics.
- Ability to work independently and as an effective member of an interdisciplinary team.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including +2,000 courses, such as our San’Yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (12) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Flexible work options including flextime, work locations and job sharing (eligibility will vary)
- Perks include access to fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Job Type: Regular, Full-Time
Location: 655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver, V5Z 4R4
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday; 0830-1630
Requisition # 107234
What we do
The BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) is dedicated to preventing and controlling communicable diseases and promoting environmental health for the province of BC.
BCCDC is part of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA).
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA and BCCDC are committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of Oct 1, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.