More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Senior Scientist - BC Centre for Disease Control
Senior Scientist, Information Management & Surveillance
BC Centre for Disease Control
Data & Analytics Services is looking for a senior scientist mathematical modelling with expertise and experience in modelling of infectious disease dynamics. Senior scientist will initially focus on modelling COVID-19 dynamics with possibility of work on wide variety of health conditions later on.
What you’ll do
- Acquire and analyze data related to emerging issues in public health to provide accurate and timely information to guide public health interventions and public health policy.
- Design, conduct, interpret and report on studies in relation to a variety of public health programs, ensuring outcomes appropriately inform decision-making. Collaborate with external and internal partners to better understand their needs and to gain support. Formulate data collection instruments and prepares project charters. Research and develop tools, templates and techniques for effective management of studies. Collaborates with investigators and other partners external to the BCCDC in developing and completing analyses and/or evaluations.
- Develop recommendations and policy advice by providing reports to the Service Line Medical Director.
- Prepare academic manuscripts and technical reports and disseminates findings including publishing work as required. Prepare abstracts, posters, and oral presentations for conference submissions. Represent BCCDC in presenting information at scientific conferences as required.
- Prepare reports and proposals for grant applications to funding agencies such as CFI, CIHR, NIH and NSERC. Participates in project proposal reviews and progress reviews.
- Keeps up-to-date regarding new initiatives, developments and trends in their area of specialty through literature review, contact with peers at other organizations, professional associations and attendance at seminars, workshop and education programs. Communicate information and make recommendations to the Medical Director.
- Plans, coordinate and deliver instruction, training and direction to staff, medical residents, subspecialty fellows, medical undergraduates, graduate students, contractors and other health care professionals, technologists, student technologists and/or postdoctoral research fellows as required, in the theory and practice of public health programs.
What you bring
- A level of education, training, and experience equivalent to a PhD in relevant field
- Seven (7) years of related research training/experience.
- Advanced knowledge of relevant database, spreadsheet, statistical, graphical, presentation, communication and web software applications as appropriate.
- Superior analytical, problem-solving and system analysis skills including the ability to resolve complex issues and synthesize related data/information and present information in concise meaningful ways.
You will have the ability to:
- Direct complex and customized queries and reports.
- Function in a self-directed manner.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills with a variety of people.
- Use excellent time management skills.
- Anticipate and respond to the needs of stakeholders supported by an acute awareness of the impact of actions.
- Handle multiple concurrent tasks.
- Demonstrate strong data and statistical problem-solving ability and judgment.
- Exercise independent judgment in facilitating decisions and communications on input parameters into medical/scientific models.
- Demonstrate flexibility in responding to program and strategic priorities.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Monday to Friday;8:30-16:30
Requisition Number: 99225
What we do
BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) bccdc.ca is dedicated to preventing and controlling communicable disease and promoting environmental health for the province.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of October 19, 2020. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.