More than just a job.
It’s about providing the highest quality patient care by placing the needs of our patients first. At PHSA, you’ll discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect and, most importantly, a life-changing career. Find yours now.
Senior Statistician, Provincial Blood Coordinating Office - Provincial Health Services Authority
Provincial Blood Coordinating Office (PBCO)
The BC Provincial Blood Coordinating Office (PBCO) is a program of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). Collaborating closely with provincial stakeholders, the PBCO facilitates the advancement of transfusion medicine practices through unique initiatives and programs that support the effective and appropriate use of blood and blood products across the province.
We are seeking a Senior Statistician to join our team to help us optimize blood and blood products utilization in BC, so we can improve healthcare.
As the Senior Statistician, your priorities will include:
- Analyze data provided from sources such as the Central Transfusion Registry (CTR), Ministry of Health (MOH) and Canadian Blood Services to improve blood use and patient outcomes.
- Support evidence-based decision making by evaluating blood utilization services.
- Provide expert advice to internal and external stakeholders, including the Ministry of Health (MoH), care providers in the BC health authorities, Canadian Blood Services, and the Public Health Agency of Canada.
- Be a strong mentor who can help take our team to the next level.
- Report to the Provincial Lead, Biostatistics.
You will be accountable for:
- Advise on analyses for documents including standard and ad-hoc reports, briefing notes, presentations, summaries and papers.
- Advise on study design, data standards, statistical analyses, and presentation for reports and other publications
- Lead and mentor team members by providing technical expertise and demonstrating team work and collaboration.
- Analyze data quality and data validity and propose data processing/handling improvements.
- Monitor trends, report variations, identify outliers and formulate suggestions for improvement, under the direction of the Provincial Lead.
What you have:
- A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Master Degree in Statistics, Biostatistics, Data Science, Health Informatics, Operations Research, or a related program
- A minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years of recent related experience in data analytics or statistics, as required, and/or the health information field in a large, complex organization.
- Advanced knowledge of descriptive statistics, statistical inference and modeling using statistical software such as R, SPSS and /or SAS.
- Demonstrated ability to develop complex and customized queries, particularly SQL queries, for relational databases, as required.
The knowledge, skills and abilities you demonstrate:
- Applied experience with business intelligence tools (e.g. Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, IBM Cognos,), as required.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and system analysis skills including the ability to comprehend complex issues and related data/information.
- Demonstrated ability to develop complex and customized queries for relational databases, as required.
- Ability to function in a self-directed manner and handle multiple concurrent tasks.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to support working with and supervising a variety of people, as required.
- Demonstrated skill as a leader, coach and change agent. Ability to prioritize workload to meet deadlines.
What's in it for you:
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
What we do
The PBCO business intelligence team are data analytics enthusiasts focused on patient care and meeting PBCO’s mandate on collecting, compiling, analyzing and distributing comprehensive, accurate and timely data on the BC blood system. We are collaborative, team focused, supportive and innovative in everything we do. Our team consists of data analysts, data coordinators, and the Provincial Lead, Biostatistics.
PBCO is a program of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of February 5, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.